[NatureNS] Horntails again

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2012 09:25:24 -0300

Thanks Andrew. So I can rule out punky wood as the attraction.

    Your bump in Horntails combined with my bump  suggests timing. Horntails
take about 2 years to reach maturity and there was widespread tree damage in
Dec 2010 so the bump in tree damage may be the driving force.

    BTW, Fir is also used for studwood. Red and Scotch Pine may be (not sure
about that) but not White because it is too weak.

    I wonder if T. columba can also feed on Poplar. Scads ot that went over
in 2010; e.g. 25-30 trees within sight of where I was working.
    Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville