[NatureNS] Plymouth yard birds

From: Ken McKenna <kenmcken@eastlink.ca>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2012 11:49:32 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_004F_01CD9981.7EF77570

Ken McKenna
Box 218 Stellarton NS
B0K 1S0
902 752-7644

Like Hans I was looking out at my yard this morning (Sept. 23) as the =
sun started to break through after all the rain and lightening last =
night. I too have my regulars some wanted and some not so wanted such as =
Rock Pigeons and red squirrels.  I have very seldom had nuthatches in my =
yard, but for the last 4-5 months, I have had one of both RB and WB =
Nuthatch and they were there this morning. They do not come up to me =
like the BC Chickadees do looking for handouts.=20
A few Robins and Cedar Waxwings landed on the higher trees likely eyeing =
the grapes which seem prolific from 5-6 vine tangles I have. While =
walking by an open window, I heard Golden- crowned Kinglets passing =
through, rare for my yard so I went out and in about half an hour, I had =
a couple Parula Warblers, Common Yellow-throat, Yellow-rumped warblers, =
Black-throated Green, Magnolia and best of all a Cape May Warbler which =
is next best thing to a rare bird given the low numbers that now breed =
in NS.=20
It was a woodpecker morning and a Pileated Woodpecker was spied on a =
power pole. It was present there for about half hour- also a nice fall =
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker and the resident Hairy and Downy Woodpeckers. =
There were a couple of Flickers yesterday, but not so far today. The =
gold and purple finches have not appeared today, but have been present =
most of the month. I noted 20 species for the hour between 9-10.=20
Looking out in the yard now, I see a Sulphur, Clouded I think. Maybe I =
can dig up an Orange Sulphur for this square if I look hard enough!

cheers
ken from Plymouth, Pictou Co.

------=_NextPart_000_004F_01CD9981.7EF77570

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>Ken McKenna<BR>Box 218 Stellarton =
NS<BR>B0K=20
1S0<BR>902 752-7644<BR></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>Like Hans I was looking out at my yard =
this morning=20
(Sept. 23)&nbsp;as the sun started to break through after all the rain =
and=20
lightening last night. I too have my regulars some wanted and some not =
so wanted=20
such as Rock Pigeons and red squirrels.&nbsp; I have very seldom had =
nuthatches=20
in my yard, but for the last 4-5 months, I have had one&nbsp;of both RB =
and WB=20
Nuthatch and they were there this morning. They do not come up to me =
like the BC=20
Chickadees do looking for handouts. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>A few Robins and Cedar Waxwings landed =
on the=20
higher trees likely eyeing the grapes which seem prolific from =
5-6&nbsp;vine=20
tangles&nbsp;I have. While&nbsp;walking by an open window,&nbsp;I heard =
Golden-=20
crowned Kinglets passing through, rare for my yard so&nbsp;I went out =
and in=20
about half an hour, I had a couple Parula Warblers, Common =
Yellow-throat,=20
Yellow-rumped warblers, Black-throated Green, Magnolia and best of all a =

<STRONG>Cape May Warbler</STRONG> which is next best thing to a rare =
bird given=20
the low numbers that now breed in NS. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial><FONT size=3D2>It was a woodpecker morning and a =
Pileated=20
Woodpecker was spied on a power pole. It was present there for about =
half hour-=20
also a nice fall Yellow-bellied Sapsucker and the resident Hairy and =
Downy=20
Woodpeckers. There were a couple of Flickers yesterday, but not so far =
today.=20
The gold and purple finches have not appeared today, but have been =
present most=20
of the month. I noted 20 species for the hour between 9-10. =
</FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial><FONT size=3D2>Looking out in the yard now, I =
see a Sulphur,=20
Clouded&nbsp;I think. Maybe I can dig up an Orange Sulphur for this =
square if I=20
look hard enough!</FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial><FONT size=3D2></FONT></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial><FONT size=3D2>cheers</FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial><FONT size=3D2>ken from Plymouth, Pictou=20
Co.</FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial><FONT =
size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_004F_01CD9981.7EF77570--