[NatureNS] Uptick in Migration Activity

From: Hans Toom <htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 09:58:10 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_001C_01CD9B04.454A3CC0

I had but an hour this morning for a quick look around my area. As I =
stepped out the door a pair of Red-breasted Nuthatches were singing =
nearby, the first noted here for several months while Gray Catbirds were =
calling from the shrubbery. At Duncan's Cove I encountered the resident =
Gray Catbirds, and a migrating flock of Swamp Sparrows. American Robins =
were everywhere in small groups, not the big thousand bird flocks of =
October. Blue Jays are also moving through in small groups of 6-12 =
individuals per group. At Sandy Cove Road I spotted a flock of three =
Baltimore Orioles moving southwest with several warblers. Due to =
distance I was only able to ID a Black-throated Green Warbler from the =
warbler bunch but bright yellow breasts were evident. A pair of Gray =
Jays posed for a time alongside the road. Some Cedar Waxwings are still =
in family groups with most starting to bunch up.=20

More time was needed to do this morning justice.

Hans
________________________________
Hans Toom
Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada
http://www.hanstoom.com/
------=_NextPart_000_001C_01CD9B04.454A3CC0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>I had but an hour this morning for a =
quick look=20
around my area. As I stepped out the door a pair of <STRONG>Red-breasted =

Nuthatches</STRONG> were singing nearby, the first noted here for =
several=20
months&nbsp;while <STRONG>Gray Catbirds</STRONG> were calling from the=20
shrubbery. At Duncan's Cove I encountered the resident <STRONG>Gray=20
Catbirds</STRONG>, and a migrating flock of <STRONG>Swamp =
Sparrows</STRONG>.=20
<STRONG>American Robins</STRONG>&nbsp;were everywhere in small groups, =
not the=20
big thousand bird flocks of October. <STRONG>Blue Jays</STRONG> are also =
moving=20
through in small groups of&nbsp;6-12 individuals per group. At Sandy =
Cove Road I=20
spotted a&nbsp;flock of three <STRONG>Baltimore Orioles</STRONG> moving=20
southwest with several warblers. Due to distance I was only able to ID a =

<STRONG>Black-throated Green Warbler</STRONG>&nbsp;from the warbler =
bunch but=20
bright yellow breasts were evident. A pair of <STRONG>Gray Jays</STRONG> =
posed=20
for a time alongside the road. Some<STRONG> Cedar Waxwings</STRONG> are =
still in=20
family groups with&nbsp;most starting to bunch up. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>More time was needed to do this morning =

justice.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2=20
Toom<BR>Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada<BR><A=20
href=3D"http://www.hanstoom.com/">http://www.hanstoom.com/</A></FONT></DI=