[NatureNS] Shorebirds - Nomads of the Wetlands

From: ulli@dunlin.ca
To: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>, naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2012 22:08:01 -0300

Hi,

Birds can't read, so how should they know what they are supposed to do or not to do? Here
we have one more example....... ;)

We have seen some considerable changes in species distribution ranges in the past two
decades. After all the oystercatchers on CSI established themselfes only in the late 1990s.

Changing behaviour from non-migratory to migratory is very dramatic and requires much
longer time periods than just expanding /changing distribution ranges by a few kms a year.
Here lies the catch why a number of long range migrants will have problems adjusting their
life cycle to global warming associated shifts in seasonal timing in their extreme breeding
areas. Evolution has no time to keep the pace, and as a result evolution will cause at least
some populations of such species to disappear because they arrive virtually to late to get
their business done in time.

A quick check in the literature shows that oystercatchers (American, Black, Eurasian) are
indeed migratory, and are known to have followed this habit for considerable time (i.e. much
longer than 1996).
The catch, and an excuse for the author, is that populations that live in favourable habitats
can be non-migratory or "move just around the corner" when season changes.  The Florida
population of A. Oystercatchers is an example, and I guess that the Black Oystercatchers in
parts of California also stay put year round. Same applies to their european relatives in the
mediteranean.
Those populations found breeding on the more extreme edges of the species' geographical
range have not much choice than heading south, considering seasonal weather changes in
Alaska, the Aleutes, Sibiria, Iceland, Northern Europe etc. that are well in their range.
Such behavioural differences between subpopulations are known for many bird species, and
even within a geographical area a mix of migratory and non-migratory individuals during the
breeding season is common.

How much of this could have been known by Harry Thurston when he wrote the book?

Well, I wouldn't consider this particular book not a reference in the scientific sense ......

Ulli