[NatureNS] Aubrey/Maturin

From: Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2012 11:30:43 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

#39;t do any better than the&lt;br
--e89a8f2343b389ba3804caec23ec

Hi,

The film version of Master and Commander in this series was a well made and
exciting movie starring Russell Crowe, and there was some good footage of
the Galapagos Islands. Also, one of the ships used in the production was
the "HMS" Rose, built in Lunenburg and has appeared in the Halifax Tall
Ships festival.

Richard

--
#################
Dr.R.B.Stern,

--e89a8f2343b389ba3804caec23ec

Hi,<br><br>The film version of Master and Commander in this series was a we=
ll made and exciting movie starring Russell Crowe, and there was some good =
footage of the Galapagos Islands. Also, one of the ships used in the produc=
tion was the &quot;HMS&quot; Rose, built in Lunenburg and has appeared in t=
he Halifax Tall Ships festival.<br>

AM,  <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:desolatechair@gmail.com" targe=
lass=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;=
padding-left:1ex">

Aboard HMS Surpirse, cruising Nootka Sound, circa 1812:<br><br>     Stephen=
, (excited): &quot;Jack, Jack!  For all love, Jack, in the rigging - I beli=
eve that is an Ancient Murrelet!&quot;<br>    <br>     Jack:  &quot; Why ye=
s Stephen, to be sure he looks somewhat grizzled - can it be et?&quot;<br>

=3D"h5"><br><br>On , Peter Payzant &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:pce@accesswave.ca"=
&gt;     <br>

    recommendation for the Aubrey/Maturin series. It is set during the<br>&=
gt;       Napoleonic wars and details the adventures and friendship of a<br=

&gt;       consummate sailor (Jack Aubrey) and his friend, the penniless<br=
>&gt;       Irish surgeon Stephen Maturin. They get off to a bad start, alm=
ost<br>&gt;       having to fight a duel over Jack&#39;s behaviour at a con=
cert in the<br>

&gt;       governor&#39;s house in Minorca, but after that their friendship=
t only is the series great literature, but Maturin is a<br>&gt;       natur=
alist (as well as a surgeon and a spy). He has wonderful<br>

&gt;       adventures with nature all over the world, including birds,<br>&=
gt;       insects, mammals and plants. In one episode, a sloth which he has=
 the cold.<br>

The sloth sneezed, and looking up, Jack caught its<br>&gt;         gaze fix=
ed upon him; its inverted face had an expression of<br>&gt;         anxiety=
 and concern. &#39;Try a piece of this, old cock,&#39; he said,<br>

&gt;         dipping his cake in the grog and proffering the sop. &#39;It m=
ight<br>&gt;         put a little heart into you.&#39;=A0 The sloth sighed,=
 closed its<br>&gt;         eyes, but gently absorbed the piece, and sighed=
 again. <br>

a touch on his knee; the sloth had<br>&gt;         silently climbed down an=
d it was standing there, its beady eyes<br>&gt;         looking up into his=
 face, bright with expectation.=A0 More cake,<br>

&gt;         more grog; growing confidence and esteem.=A0 After this, as so=
on<br>&gt;         as the drum had beat the retreat, the sloth would meet h=
im,<br>&gt;         hurrying towards the door on its uneven legs: it was gi=
ven its<br>

&gt;         own bowl and would grip it with its claws, lowering its round<=
br>&gt;         face into it and pursing its lips to drink.=A0 Sometimes it=
 went<br>&gt;         to sleep in this position, bowed over the emptiness.<=
br>

&gt; <br>&gt;       <br>&gt;       Later, Stephen is horrified to discover =
his sloth completely under<br>&gt;       the influence. He utters the death=
less words, &quot;Jack! You have<br>&gt;       debauched my sloth!&quot;<br=

techair@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">desolatechair@gmail.com</a> wrote:<br>

ll things nautical<br>&gt;       in the great age of sail you can&#39;t do =
any better than the<br>&gt;       Aubrey/Maturin series by the late great P=
atrick O&#39;Brian - part of<br>

&gt;       which(The Surgeons Mate I believe) is set in Halifax. Outstandin=
te>

ichard Stern, <br>Port Williams, NS, Canada<br><a href=3D"mailto:sternricha=
rd@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">sternrichard@gmail.com</a><br>

--e89a8f2343b389ba3804caec23ec--