[NatureNS] Road Kill

From: Mike McCall <frogmore@xcountry.tv>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2012 16:11:56 -0300
To: natureNS@chebucto.ns.ca

As I was riding my bike along 221 west of Centreville yesterday I blazed past
(do you believe that?) two fluffy masses of feathers lying about ten feet apart
on the right hand side of the road. The small mass was a seriously damaged
Robin; the other a more seriously torn up Merlin. It seems likely that the
Merlin had offed the Robin but managed to encounter a vehicle before he
could devour his lunch. I suppose the Robin could have come to grief and
the remains were then spotted by the Merlin who went for the free lunch and
paid for it. But I prefer to think he took his prey in the traditional Merlin style,
eschewing the scavenging habits of Crows for instance.