[NatureNS] mass & weight

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2012 21:51:23 -0300

Hi Steve,                    Oct 3, 2012
    Thanks Steve. I did find several sources yesterday that state, somewhat
clearly, that Electronic scales/balances are gravity based. e.g.
at Wikipedia by searching Weighing Scale. I had this bookmarked but
apparently in some other dimension. I do vaguely recall being told by a
Fisher rep that top-load scales/balances had to be set for point of use.
Perhaps you can ask when reps come by your lab.

    In my previous posts I was mostly blowing off steam because a discussion
of the terms weight and mass brought to mind the evangelical nature of the
early 90's rush to a 'pure' SI system and the associated irritation.

    The question about mechanism of electronic weighing devices is twofold.
One, a matter of curiosity; how do they work now. Two, a matter of amusement
if what I understand to be true really is true.

    It seems that for 6000 years or so we have used devices that sense mass
and (in English more recently) called these measurements weight [not in
British scientific usage I note]. And then in the early 90's, after much
nagging and preaching, everyone in the sciences agreed (sort of) that when
you weigh something you determine its mass. And concurrently with this grand
advance we have developed devices to measure mass that apparently sense
weight but not mass.

    That, if correct, is just as funny as the Japanese joke "There was one
ant."

    But funny or not, electronic analytical balances are far superior to the
old simple equal-beam balance.

Yt, DW, Kentville