[NatureNS] re hatching of painted, Blanding's, snapping turtle

Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2012 20:18:10 -0400
From: Fred Schueler <bckcdb@istar.ca>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Cc: John Gilhen <GILHENJA@gov.ns.ca>, Andrew Hebda <HEBDAAJ@gov.ns.ca>,

-------- Original Message --------
> Subject: [NatureNS] re hatching of painted, Blanding's, snapping turtle eggs
> *From: *Brennan Caverhill <brennan.caverhill@gmail.com *Date:
> *October 5, 2012 12:48:54 PM ADT
> *Subject: **Re: re hatching of turtle eggs*
>
> Hi Jim - I've seen Blanding's emerge in spring as well! (so has
> Jeffie) and snappers do it too. Painters seem to be the best at it
> though. Whether the eggs hatch in fall, remain in the nest then
> emerge in spring ... OR ... whether they remain in the egg, then
> hatch AND emerge in spring is a tough question to answer ... without
> fiber-optic cameras and invasive techniques!

* Painted and Blanding's Turtle hatchlings are freeze tolerant and
overwinter hatched. Snapping Turtles are not freeze tolerant, and
usually emerge in the fall, but if the nest site wasn't warm enough,
they may die in the nest over-winter, either as hatchlings or as
unhatched eggs. They'll emerge in the spring only if their nest site
doesn't freeze, which may happen fairly frequently along roads where
the nests are insulated by piled snow.

see -
http://www.biology-online.org/articles/reptile_freeze_tolerance_metabolism/winter_life_painted_turtle.html - by Ken
Storey.