[NatureNS] Birds Yesterday and Today

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2012 00:42:59 +0000

--_b0cc4c85-c375-4fa1-b22a-31a54260d1c3_

David Walmark and I made a jaunt yesterday to Kingsburg Beach.  Keven Lantz=
 the day before had located two American Coots at the Kingsburg Pond.  They=
 were both present.  If I had a good camera it would have made a nice pictu=
re with both beside a Canada Goose.  Also present was a female redhead.  Th=
ere were 35 green-winged teal=2C 20 greater scaup (or is it great now)=2C s=
even American black ducks=2C nine mallards=2C and six ring-necked ducks.  A=
t Kingsburg Beach of note were seven Ipswitch sparrows.  There were no band=
s on these birds.  Shorebirds included 19 semi-palmated plovers=2C two semi=
-palmated sandpipers=2C 15 sanderlings=2C one white-rumped sandpiper and on=
e pectoral sandpiper. =20
=20
Of note=2C yesterday=2C Dorothy Poole noted loads of dark-eyed juncos on th=
e move.  I saw five separate groups today between Broad Cove and Petite Riv=
iere with groups ranging between 10-20 birds each.  It was definitely a lar=
ge sparrow day.  The Liverpool Cemetary was very active with highlights of =
a red-bellied woodpecker=2C a rose-breasted grosbeak=2C a gray catbird=2C a=
 hermit thrush=2C loads of song-sparrows=2C purple finches=2C common grackl=
es=2C a single red-winged blackbird=2C a swamp sparrow=2C and other birds. =
 I saw also I'm sure a dickcissel=2C it was a sparrow like bird with yellow=
 on the chest.  I did not record it as the look was not long enough for my =
liking.  We had a male wood duck just outside of Liverpool in the pond by t=
he call centre. =20
=20
Along the road to Western Head there was a flock of 132 American robins.  A=
t the leaf and garden desposal site we found an indigo bunting.  There were=
 white-throated sparrows and 30 song sparrows.  I saw one sparrow twice wit=
h white wing bars=2C but I could not for the life of me get a look at the h=
ead of the bird for an id.  At Western Head there was a steady flight of no=
rthern gannets going by.  In about eight minutes or so I counted 158.  Ther=
e were also black scoters and white-winged scoters. =20
=20
On the way back near Moose Harbour=2C amongst a group of song sparrows feed=
ing alongside the road was a clay-colored sparrow.  Also of note was an Ips=
witch sparrow near the Western Head Lighthouse.  There is a road that goes =
to the shore just prior to the light and when we came up from there we spot=
ted the Ipswich.  It looked like one leg was broken=2C the wings did not lo=
ok right and were being held at a wierd angle=2C nor did the way it was hol=
ding its tail.  It likely crashed into something.  It still was searching f=
or food with the one foot and seemed to be getting on despite the injuries.=
  It could also fly.  At the shoreline=2C someone has built a fire pit.  It=
 had been left smoking today=2C so whoever had been there prior to us did n=
ot put the first fully out.  A very irresponsible person.

James R. Hirtle
Bridgewater
 		 	   		  =

--_b0cc4c85-c375-4fa1-b22a-31a54260d1c3_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Tahoma
}
--></style></head>
<FONT size=3D3>David Walmark and I&nbsp=3Bmade a jaunt yesterday to Kingsbu=
rg Beach.&nbsp=3B Keven Lantz the day before had located two American Coots=
 at the Kingsburg Pond.&nbsp=3B They were both present.&nbsp=3B If I had a =
good camera it would have made a nice picture with both beside a Canada Goo=
se.&nbsp=3B Also present was a female redhead.&nbsp=3B There were 35 green-=
winged teal=2C 20 greater scaup (or is it great now)=2C seven American blac=
k ducks=2C nine mallards=2C and six ring-necked ducks.&nbsp=3B At Kingsburg=
 Beach of note were seven Ipswitch sparrows.&nbsp=3B There were no bands on=
 these birds.&nbsp=3B Shorebirds included 19 semi-palmated plovers=2C two s=
emi-palmated sandpipers=2C 15 sanderlings=2C one white-rumped sandpiper and=
 one pectoral sandpiper.&nbsp=3B </FONT><BR>
<FONT size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp=3B<BR>
<FONT size=3D3>Of note=2C yesterday=2C Dorothy Poole noted loads of dark-ey=
ed juncos on the move.&nbsp=3B I saw five separate groups today between Bro=
ad Cove and Petite Riviere with groups ranging between 10-20 birds each.&nb=
sp=3B It was definitely a large sparrow day.&nbsp=3B The Liverpool Cemetary=
 was very active with highlights of a red-bellied woodpecker=2C a rose-brea=
sted grosbeak=2C a gray catbird=2C a hermit thrush=2C loads of song-sparrow=
s=2C purple finches=2C common grackles=2C a single red-winged blackbird=2C =
a swamp sparrow=2C and other birds.&nbsp=3B I saw also I'm sure a dickcisse=
l=2C it was a sparrow like bird with yellow on the chest.&nbsp=3B I did not=
 record it as the look was not long enough for my liking.&nbsp=3B We had a =
male wood duck just outside of Liverpool in the pond by the call centre.&nb=
sp=3B </FONT><BR>
<FONT size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp=3B<BR>
<FONT size=3D3>Along the road to Western Head there was a flock of 132 Amer=
ican robins.&nbsp=3B At the leaf and garden desposal site we found an indig=
o bunting.&nbsp=3B There were white-throated sparrows and 30 song sparrows.=
&nbsp=3B I saw one sparrow twice with white wing bars=2C but I could not fo=
r the life of me get a look at the head of the bird for an id.&nbsp=3B At W=
estern Head there was a steady flight of northern gannets going by.&nbsp=3B=
 In about&nbsp=3Beight minutes or so I counted 158.&nbsp=3B There were also=
 black scoters and white-winged scoters.&nbsp=3B </FONT><BR>
<FONT size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp=3B<BR>
<FONT size=3D3>On the way back&nbsp=3Bnear Moose Harbour=2C amongst a group=
 of song sparrows feeding alongside the road was a clay-colored sparrow.&nb=
sp=3B Also of note was an Ipswitch sparrow near the Western Head Lighthouse=
.&nbsp=3B There is a road that goes to the shore just prior to the light an=
d when we came up from there we spotted the Ipswich.&nbsp=3B It looked like=
 one leg was broken=2C the wings did not look right and were being held at =
a wierd angle=2C nor did the way it was holding its tail.&nbsp=3B It likely=
 crashed into something.&nbsp=3B It still was searching for food with the o=
ne foot and seemed to be getting on despite the injuries.&nbsp=3B It could =
also fly.&nbsp=3B At the shoreline=2C someone has built a fire pit.&nbsp=3B=
 It had been left smoking today=2C so whoever had been there prior to us di=
d not put the first fully out.&nbsp=3B A very irresponsible person.</FONT><=

<BR>James R. Hirtle<BR>
Bridgewater<BR><BR> 		 	   		  </div></body>

--_b0cc4c85-c375-4fa1-b22a-31a54260d1c3_--