[NatureNS] Frigatebird, Bayport, Lun. Co.

From: "Eric L. Mills" <e.mills@dal.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca, ns-rba@yahoogroups.com
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 22:16:29 -0300
Cc: ocotillo8@gmail.com

I had some much too belated second-thoughts about the Kite reported today (October 17) by
Anne Mills. We discussed the observation at some length (by e-mail, from separate parts of
the Province) this evening and here is her response.

"This morning around 10:45 as I drove past the Bayport Plant Farm on Hwy 332 in Bayport,
Lunenburg County, I looked up to see a Frigatebird hang-gliding over the road and heading in
a SW direction directly over the road. Its altitude was just enough to catch the updraft so that
it didn't need to flap. The wingspan was very wide and checking with Sibley would have been
90"+. The bird appeared all black and the legs and forked tail were in a straight line out
behind. The tail forks were close together and seemed one as it glided. I could see no white
breast. I didn't have the time to turn around because I had to get to Chester for 11:30, but it
would have been neat to follow it. I at first thought it might be a Swallow-tailed Kite but there
were some features that just didn't seem right. The thin wide wingspan and no white on the
breast should have given me the clues. Thanks to Eric for helping with the interpretation of
my earlier description."

Eric L. Mills
286 Kingsburg Road
RR#1, Rose Bay, NS B0J 2X0