[NatureNS] Fw: Today's Bird Traffic Around Chebucto Head

From: Hans Toom <htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 18:46:29 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_0076_01CDB217.E1005620

----- Original Message -----=20
From: Hans Toom=20
To: NS-RBA=20
Sent: Wednesday, October 24, 2012 6:45 PM
Subject: Today's Bird Traffic Around Chebucto Head

I started my morning at the gate to the Chebucto Head Light. There were =
good numbers of Yellow-rumped Warblers and American Robins but nothing =
unusual, .....except a mysterious song. The song was a "dead ringer" for =
a Warbling Vireo. I am familiar with this species having heard it =
hundreds of times in southern Ontario but the question is does this =
species sing during migration? My answer to my own question is no but =
aberrant behavior is possible in any species at any time. The rule I =
accept is that an auditory only identification requires either a good =
voice recording or agreement between two competent listeners. This kinda =
puts the boots to the records from the "Big Year" movie, but that's =
another story. I ruled out any of the finches or wrens as possibilities. =

I sat at Duncan Reef once again enjoying a coffee in the morning sun. It =
was quiet save for the diving and south flying Northern Gannets off =
shore. The highlight was a pair of steel blue Merlins that flew over and =
alighted in trees behind me. At Duncan's Cove a Tree Swallow was trying =
to find flying insects over the cove. It's time to head south little =
buddy! There were also several groups of White-winged Crossbills in the =
area. I reported Red Crossbills yesterday, birds that I saw in flight. I =
recognized them as crossbills from size and shape as well as the red =
body colour. I didn't see any flapping white wing bars on these =
crossbills which I ought to be have seen had they have been White-winged =
Crossbills.

Hans
________________________________
Hans Toom
Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada
http://www.hanstoom.com/

------=_NextPart_000_0076_01CDB217.E1005620

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message -----=20
<DIV style=3D"BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; font-color: black"><B>From:</B> <A=20
title=3Dhtoom@hfx.eastlink.ca href=3D"mailto:htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca">Hans =
Toom</A>=20
</DIV>
<DIV><B>To:</B> <A title=3DNS-RBA@yahoogroups.com=20
href=3D"mailto:NS-RBA@yahoogroups.com">NS-RBA</A> </DIV>
<DIV><B>Sent:</B> Wednesday, October 24, 2012 6:45 PM</DIV>
<DIV><B>Subject:</B> Today's Bird Traffic Around Chebucto =
Head</DIV></DIV>
<DIV><BR></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>I started my morning at the gate to the =
Chebucto=20
Head Light. There were good numbers of <STRONG>Yellow-rumped =
Warblers</STRONG>=20
and <STRONG>American Robins</STRONG> but nothing unusual, .....except a=20
mysterious song. The song was a "dead ringer" for a <STRONG>Warbling=20
Vireo</STRONG>. I am familiar with this species having heard it hundreds =
of=20
times in southern Ontario but the question is does this species sing =
during=20
migration? My answer to my own question is no but aberrant behavior is =
possible=20
in any species at any time. The rule I accept is that an auditory only=20
identification requires either a good voice recording or agreement =
between two=20
competent listeners. This kinda puts the boots to the&nbsp;records from =
the "Big=20
Year" movie, but that's another story. I ruled out any of the finches or =
wrens=20
as possibilities. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>I sat at Duncan Reef once again =
enjoying a coffee=20
in the morning sun. It was quiet save for the diving and south flying=20
<STRONG>Northern Gannets</STRONG> off shore. The highlight was a pair of =
steel=20
blue <STRONG>Merlins</STRONG> that flew over and alighted in trees =
behind me. At=20
Duncan's Cove a&nbsp;<STRONG>Tree Swallow</STRONG> was trying to find =
flying=20
insects over the cove. It's time to head south little buddy! There were =
also=20
several groups of <STRONG>White-winged Crossbills</STRONG> in the area. =
I=20
reported <STRONG>Red Crossbills</STRONG> yesterday, birds that I saw in =
flight.=20
I recognized them as crossbills from size and shape as well as the red =
body=20
colour. I didn't see any flapping white wing bars on these crossbills =
which I=20
ought to be have seen had they have been <STRONG>White-winged=20
Crossbills</STRONG>.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2=20
Toom<BR>Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada<BR><A=20
href=3D"http://www.hanstoom.com/">http://www.hanstoom.com/</A><BR></FONT>=
</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0076_01CDB217.E1005620--