[NatureNS] Forest Perspectives...scale of disturbance

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2012 23:01:25 -0300

Hi Dave P & All,                        Oct 26, 2012
    Just to clarify one point, do you then agree with Nick that climate
change will be of net benefit to our forest ecosystem (or at least not
detrimental)?

    Certainly it was not my intent to defend even aged management but simply
to observe that weather extremes will play havoc with forest management
plans (which would include even aged management plans) and the forest cover
of affected areas will tend to be relatively even aged.

    Turning to the quite different subject of even aged stands one may break
it down readily into three aspects: all IMHO. One, as Gary noted, natural
forces here will sometimes tend to generate them; budworm, fire, wind,
[drought on shallow soils]. Depending upon soil and topography these stands
may be quite large; e.g. fir of Cape Breton Highlands. Two, also as Gary
noted, these natural and man made even aged stands (generated by abandonment
of farm lands and by silviculture) were attractive for pulp purposes. Three,
such stands were necessary but not now sufficient for a viable pulp industry
in NS.

    We have a habit of dishing out wads of tax money to attract or hold pulp
companies. It is just possible, along the model of Swiss 'farmers', that
even less money might fund a group of people who were willing to personally
manage select areas of woodland and harvest them selectively using horses or
oxen.

Yours truly, Dave Webster, Kentville