[NatureNS] Forest Persectives, White or American Elm (Ulmus

Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2012 12:18:50 -0300
From: Dusan Soudek <soudekd@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Marian,
   yup, some municipalities cut down their street elms as soon as they got infected, while others, such as Fredericton, are actively treating their park and street elms to try to keep them healthy. In Truro they chainsaw sculptures out of them.
   During a recent canoe trip down the West River St. Mary's (in Guysborough Co.) I noted only a single mature live elm tree, and three or four standing dead ones, along maybe 80 km of the river. (Elm trees, dead or alive, stand out from their neighbours due to their unmistakeable shape of their crowns.)
   Old white pines, hemlocks, red spruce, yellow birches, and red maples  were common; at least in the narrow unlogged strip of land along the river....
   Dusan Soudek