[NatureNS] Long: Re: Forest Persectives continued

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2012 18:04:45 -0300

Hi Again Dave P & All,                    Oct 31, 2012
    The elephant parts being briefly described  by Gary and Nick, past and
future of NS forests, are just  two snapshots of a much larger landscape. So
I don't see either submission as being part of an argument.

    Gary looks back and all but turns the page on a closed chapter of NS
forestry; pulp. Nick looks ahead through, in my view, rose tinted glasses
but back long enough to include an almost vindictive attack on the
pulp/forestry industry for practices that were necessary (but not
sufficient) for economic survival.

MICRO RANT:
    Our one species of Oak does well here but is threatened by a yellow
caterpillar and southern Oaks would be equally threatened. if they had
similar soil preferences This caterpillar has tracks like a tank and is used
to remove stumps to enable extraction of gravel. And gravel extraction,
largely to widen wide highways, plays havoc with stream flow stability and
survival of plants like Floerkea proserpinacoides and Equisetum hymale.
END OF MICRO RANT:

    I have never paid much attention to concepts such as Nichols' White
Pine, Hemlock, Northern Hardwoods Association; now apparently called Acadian
Forest. These represent the stable successional stage in landscape that is
free of soil limitations, site limitations (such as exposure to wind) and
disturbance. I am more inclined to take note of what I see and mentally file
it away without labels as part of the total. This provides room for such
trees as Elm and Ash (why Ash did not make the cut as a component of
old-growth forest beats me).

    If Mossler et al. (2003) correctly conclude that "... as much as 50% of
Maritime forest landscape..." was climax then, by logic, 50% or more  was
something else.

    But in N.S., based on personal observation, that 'something else' is way
more than 50% provided forest landscape includes everything except
waterways, wetland & farmland.

    To cite a few examples-- Much of the Cape Breton Highlands was
predominantly even-aged Fir, likely established by Spruce Budworm eruptions,
long before a network of roads opened the area to forestry. There are
extensive areas of sand barrens in the Valley and patches elsewhere e.g.
Shelburne Co. & Cumberland Co. that can support only scrub and spaced pine.
And in addition to huge areas of fire barrens there are also huge areas with
very shallow bedrock (there is a graphic example of this effect on the 101
west of exit 3; the highway cuts across a series of ridges and the tops of
trees in the valleys are almost as high as the tops of stunted trees on the
ridge tops).

    And in conclusion I wish to note that Foresters will have tended to
choose that vocation because they like trees, not because they like making a
god- awful mess of woodland. I remember one conversation with the Chief
Forester (or some such title and I don't recall his name) at Stora some
decades ago. Stora had begun to look at hardwood and I asked him if the
exceptional stand of very large hardwood east of the Ross was on the block.
He explained that he had told Management that he would walk if they did not
exclude it. Both he and Stora are long gone so that area may have been cut.
But if so then that may be only a temporary loss. The soil is right.  It is
not likely be become housing or an 80 acre shopping center. So by about 2250
it will be a good as new-- if the climate is right.

Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville

Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville