[NatureNS] Seed Cropping Strategy in Trees

Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2012 15:31:43 -0400
From: Rick Whitman <dendroica.caerulescens@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Someone here knows more than I do. I think your focus is too much on
the negatives, to start with. I believe most tree seed crops, both
hardwood & softwood, are strongly cyclical over large areas. The
cycles may be pushed, or damped, from time to time by extreme good /
bad growing seasons, but I believe they will carry on regardless. As
you will know from your apple background, a very large crop one year
will almost always be followed by a small crop the next. The trees
simply don't have the resources to produce large crops every year.

A fruit grower modulates crop load by hand thinners or chemical
thinners. No such thing exists in the wild and it's not obvious that
the trees would benefit from such. We think too much about how nuts
are spread around by birds and squirrels, to the trees' benefit. We
need to remember that this is not the case at all for most or all
softwoods & many hardwoods. I'm sure there are minor exceptions
(carried seeds being lost) but overall conifers, maples, ash, birch
etc. ALL distribute their seeds by the wind. Seed eating birds are
PREDATORS and nothing more.

Therefore, it makes perfect evolutionary sense for widespread
populations of trees to synchronize their seed crops & overwhelm these
predators with abundance, in a highly cyclic fashion. The trees have
no "interest" in feeding these birds. The trees that are out of sync
will be heavily predated & will not reproduce.

Now, someone can give the correct story.

Rick Whitman