[NatureNS] Squirrel Dilemma

Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 20:20:50 -0400
From: Helene Van Doninck <helene.birdvet@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--bcaec54a377aebfbaa04ce5563c2

JS, great squirrel name :)
Helene
On Nov 12, 2012 8:14 PM, "Henk Kwindt" <cbatl@eastlink.ca> wrote:

> Hi Gayle,
>
> I have used a rat trap (which is basically a large version of an old
> fashioned mouse trap), baited with peanut butter, successfully.
> The problem I have with using a pellet gun is that there is a good chance
> that it will not kill the animal instantly and could thus crawl to a place
> somewhere in the house to die, probably where you can't get at it.
> Good luck!
> Henk Kwindt, Cow Bay,NS.
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: <duartess@ns.sympatico.ca>

Helene</p>
 &lt;cbatl@eastlink.ca&gt; wrote:<=
br type=3D"attribution"><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0=
 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
Hi Gayle,<br>
I have used a rat trap (which is basically a large version of an old fashio=
ned mouse trap), baited with peanut butter, successfully.<br>
The problem I have with using a pellet gun is that there is a good chance t=
hat it will not kill the animal instantly and could thus crawl to a place s=
omewhere in the house to die, probably where you can&#39;t get at it.<br>

Good luck!<br>
Henk Kwindt, Cow Bay,NS.<br>
----- Original Message ----- From: &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:duartess@ns.sympat=
ico.ca" target=3D"_blank">duartess@ns.sympatico.ca</a>&gt;<br>
Somewhat off-topic but does anyone have experience &amp; success in ridding=
 a house of a recent infestation of squirrels that are making their way int=
o the house and now seem to be coming and going, as they please. They have =
found a way to get in through a hole in the ground that follows a pipe from=
 the oil tank. In chatting with an exterminator acquaintance, my friend was=
 told that, at this time of year, you probably don&#39;t have a hope in h--=
l of getting them out of the house.<br>

Admittedly, he has been picking them off, one by one with his son&#39;s pel=
let gun. Has dispatched 3 so far, as they are heading for the hole under th=
e oil tank. The exterminator also said if you have seen 3 there are probabl=
y 10! Would coyote urine pellets work?<br>

Does anyone have suggestions? Ugh! Squirrels in the house is not a good thi=
ng!!<br>
Many thanks,<br>
Gayle MacLean<br>
Dartmouth<br>