[NatureNS] Alan McTavish

From: "Elizabeth Doull" <edoull@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2012 17:38:56 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0070_01CDC1C5.C1BF4BF0

From: John Loch
 Tuesday, November 13, 2012 5:29 PM
Alan McTavish

Yesterday, my wife & I went to Shelburne to try to see the Northern Lapwing.
There we met another birder, Alan McTavish from Bridgewater, whom we had
never met previously.  I noticed a "Birder" license plate on the front of
his car.  Over the next 2 hrs we talked a bit and waited a bit but no bird.
Around 3 PM, Martha & I decided to head home via White Point Resort.  I left
my name, etc with Alan in case the bird turned up shortly after we left.  He
said he'd be staying for a few more minutes, and then would be heading home.
As we were driving on Hwy 103 near Port Mouton, we stopped to switch drivers
and noticed Alan going by in his green Camry.  We proceeded on to White
Point and then headed home around 5 but were stopped at the 103:Exit 20A
interchange by highway workers who said there was a serious accident between
there and Exit 19 and we were to detour via Liverpool.   As soon as we got
home, I started checking reports of the accident and even asked James Hirtle
to see if Alan had gotten home.  James tried but there was no answer and he
left a message.  I even emailed Alan later that evening. As the night
progressed and more information came in, it became apparent that Alan may
indeed have been involved in the accident.  When I learned this morning that
a green Camry was involved, then I knew the worst had happened.  News
reports have now confirmed that the person who died in the accident was
Alan.

As I say, I had never met Alan before.  He was a real gentleman and we
enjoyed his company.

He came and left our lives like a rare bird.

We extend our deepest sympathies to Alan's family.

John Loch

Bedford, NS

------=_NextPart_000_0070_01CDC1C5.C1BF4BF0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META name=3DGENERATOR content=3D"MSHTML 8.00.6001.19328"></HEAD>
<BODY style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: #fff" bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">
<DIV style=3D"BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; font-color: black"><B>From:</B> <A=20
title=3Dlochonsult@ns.sympatico.ca =
href=3D"mailto:lochonsult@ns.sympatico.ca">John=20
Loch</A> </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;Tuesday, November 13, 2012 5:29 PM</DIV>
<DIV>Alan McTavish</DIV></DIV>
<DIV style=3D"POSITION: relative" id=3Dygrp-mlmsg>
<DIV style=3D"Z-INDEX: 1" =
id=3Dygrp-msg><!--~-|**|PrettyHtmlEndT|**|-~-->
<DIV id=3Dygrp-text>
<P>
<DIV class=3DWordSection1>
<P class=3DMsoNormal>Yesterday, my wife &amp; I went to Shelburne to try =
to see=20
the Northern Lapwing.&nbsp; There we met another birder, Alan McTavish =
from=20
Bridgewater, whom we had never met previously.&nbsp; I noticed a =
=93Birder=94=20
license plate on the front of his car.&nbsp; Over the next 2 hrs we =
talked a bit=20
and waited a bit but no bird.&nbsp; Around 3 PM, Martha &amp; I decided =
to head=20
home via White Point Resort.&nbsp; I left my name, etc with Alan in case =
the=20
bird turned up shortly after we left.&nbsp; He said he=92d be staying =
for a few=20
more minutes, and then would be heading home. &nbsp;As we were driving =
on Hwy=20
103 near Port Mouton, we stopped to switch drivers and noticed Alan =
going by in=20
his green Camry.&nbsp; We proceeded on to White Point and then headed =
home=20
around 5 but were stopped at the 103:Exit 20A interchange by highway =
workers who=20
said there was a serious accident between there and Exit 19 and we were =
to=20
detour via Liverpool.&nbsp;&nbsp; As soon as we got home, I started =
checking=20
reports of the accident and even asked James Hirtle to see if Alan had =
gotten=20
home.&nbsp; James tried but there was no answer and he left a message. =
&nbsp;I=20
even emailed Alan later that evening. As the night progressed and more=20
information came in, it became apparent that Alan may indeed have been =
involved=20
in the accident.&nbsp; When I learned this morning that a green Camry =
was=20
involved, then I knew the worst had happened.&nbsp; News reports have =
now=20
confirmed that the person who died in the accident was Alan.<O></O></P>
<P class=3DMsoNormal>As I say, I had never met Alan before.&nbsp; He was =
a real=20
gentleman and we enjoyed his company. <O></O></P>
<P class=3DMsoNormal>He came and left our lives like a rare =
bird.<O></O></P>
<P class=3DMsoNormal>We extend our deepest sympathies to Alan=92s =
family.<O></O></P>
<P class=3DMsoNormal>John Loch<O></O></P>
<P class=3DMsoNormal>Bedford, =
NS<O></O></P></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0070_01CDC1C5.C1BF4BF0--