[NatureNS] Burning Forests PS

Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 20:12:36 -0500
From: Fred Schueler <bckcdb@istar.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

FO
Quoting David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>:

> Thanks Paul,                    Nov 18, 2012
>     I should have known that. They burn it begause its there.

* ooh. My brother-in-law was going to do away with the stuff from
Kenya by carbonizing it into charcoal briquettes -
http://stoves.bioenergylists.org/stovesdoc/Karstad/canecoal/canecoal.html -
but I haven't heard recently how the production was going. His account
is that each factory produces "up to 100 tonnes of surplus bagasse per
day, accumulating in massive heaps before being hauled away to be
burnt in fallow fields. This practice yields no significant nutrients
back to the soil, creates huge amounts of air pollution and actually
costs the sugar factory money. All four operating sugar factories in
Kenya have a similar bagasse disposal problem."

fred.