[NatureNS] Northern Shrike in White Point

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 12:18:13 -0400

The Northern Shrike put in another appearance this morning at the grapevine
shortly after 8 am Steve said. He looked it up to check see what it was.
There is a Cardinal, probably a this year male as the deep red isn't there
except in patches,  that has been coming almost regularly for about a week.
In the latter part of the afternoon yesterday, I was outside and quietly
watched and listened as it called and two or three other birds answered.
This happened several times. I don't think it was Blue Jays mimicking it.
Seems a bit on the small side to me, but a lovely bird.
Evening grosbeaks are moving about the property. Yesterday shortly after
noon, a Great Blue Heron flew westward, across my neighbour's property, at
quite low level, maybe checking out the small pond across the road. It
gradually lifted and continued along its way. This morning I saw a small
Heron at the water's edge down on the White Point Estates road, before you
get to the bridge at the lodge end. Also saw two lovely deer standing there
in the sunlight, too. A lot more activity in that area these days as the
lodge gets back to business. Now if we could just get a ferry...
Best regards,
Marg Millard.
http://MargMillard.ca