[NatureNS] question re my feeders in Wolfville

Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2012 11:36:14 -0400
From: Eleanor Lindsay <kelindsay@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--Boundary_(ID_tHJ5wKmVgF2WelcVPh1v5Q)

For the first time this morning I too noted a very major change in my
feeder bird pattern.

Lots of blue jays and the mature Baltimore oriole have normally been
turning up just after the chickadees around 7:05-15am. followed by
mourning doves, woodpeckers and other small birds.
Today, the chickadees were on time, but jays (fewer than usual) and the
oriole did not appear till almost 7:30 by which point there were also a
few mourning doves (but I did not pay much attention to their numbers).
The jays and oriole stayed only a little time; the oriole, which I
watched in particular, came several times to his fruit and grape jelly,
poked at the jelly, but never ate any - totally unlike its usual
routine. I have seen neither jays or oriole since, though the chickadees
remain active.

For what it's worth in light of Jim's comment about suet, I put up a new
block a few days ago and was noticing that it was hardly being touched,
especially by the oriole, which normally fed frequently from it daily.
The chickadees and woodpeckers appear to have been feeding normally from
it though, so I have just left it up....

Eleanor Lindsay
Seabright, St Margarets Bay

On 23/11/2012 1:41 AM, James W. Wolford wrote:
> NOV. 20, 2012 - Regarding my bird feeders in Wolfville, I was away for
> two weeks and just resumed feeding again last Friday, Nov. 16.  I have
> two tube-feeders that I fill every day with black-oil sunflower seeds,
> and normally these are both empty at the end of the day (when I
> collect the feeders to hide overnight from raccoons).  But for the
> last few days, for some reason my regular 3-5 blue jays have slowed
> down considerably on their consumption, so that neither feeder is
> emptied.  Is anyone else noticeing this phenomenon?
>
> Cheers from Jim in Wolfville
A few days ago the new block of suet suet I had put out appeared to be un

--Boundary_(ID_tHJ5wKmVgF2WelcVPh1v5Q)

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
    feeder bird pattern.<br>
    Lots of blue jays and the mature Baltimore oriole have normally been
    turning up just after the chickadees around 7:05-15am. followed by
    mourning doves, woodpeckers and other small birds.<br>
    Today, the chickadees were on time, but jays (fewer than usual) and
    the oriole did not appear till almost 7:30 by which point there were
    also a few mourning doves (but I did not pay much attention to their
    numbers). The jays and oriole stayed only a little time; the oriole,
    which I watched in particular, came several times to his fruit and
    grape jelly, poked at the jelly, but never ate any - totally unlike
    its usual routine. I have seen neither jays or oriole since, though
    the chickadees remain active.<br>
    For what it's worth in light of Jim's comment about suet, I put up a
    new block a few days ago and was noticing that it was hardly being
    touched, especially by the oriole, which normally fed frequently
    from it daily. The chickadees and woodpeckers appear to have been
    feeding normally from it though, so I have just left it up....<br>
    Eleanor Lindsay<br>
    Seabright, St Margarets Bay<br>
      wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:959CE5AD-8CBB-442C-A85D-B7BD0B4BBBEC@eastlink.ca"
      type="cite">NOV. 20, 2012 - Regarding my bird feeders in