[NatureNS] Ground Feeding Question + Bohemian Waxwings

From: Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2012 09:51:14 -0400
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

Hi,

When I fill my feeders, some seed always accidentally spills over onto
the ground, and that's fine, as it does attract White-throats, Juncos
and Pheasats in particular. Also, larger birds such as Blue Jays often
kick seed onto the ground while they're feeding. Generally though, our
2 hens tend to gravitate towards any food on the ground if they're out
of the coop, so I generally don't throw any there deliberately till
there's snow on the ground, and then the hens don't go out.

BTW I just saw my 1st Bohemians of the season - a flock of about 30 in
our Poplar, and then flew off.

Richard Stern
Sent from my iPad