[NatureNS] National emblem debate

Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2012 00:23:16 -0400
From: Helene Van Doninck <helene.birdvet@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--bcaec55556b214550804cfc2e05d

I agree with  Doug :)

--
Helene Van Doninck DVM
Cobequid Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre

--bcaec55556b214550804cfc2e05d

012 at 11:25 PM, Doug Linzey <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:doug@f=
blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px=
 #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
On 30/11/2012 10:12 PM, Derek W Bridgehouse wrote:<br>
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
Should the beaver be replaced by the polar bear as Canadas national emblem?=
No way!<br>
Castor canadensis is endemic to North America (ignoring the introduced popu=
lation in Europe) and inhabits pretty near all of Canada. It truly is an in=
dustrious animal and, apart from pissing off us humans at times, is benefic=
ial to the environment. Much of our country was built on the beaver fur tra=
de.<br>

Ursus maritimus is a lovely animal, but unlike the beaver is something most=
 of us will never see in person, which for the sake of its future may be a =
good thing. Furthermore, it&#39;s already been taken -- by Greenland (see t=
he Greenland coat of arms).<br>

Besides, it&#39;s cool to have a national animal with Canada in its name.<s=
pan class=3D"HOEnZb"><font color=3D"#888888"><br>
Doug Linzey<br>
r>Helene Van Doninck DVM<br>Cobequid Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre<br>RR#1=
 Brookfield NS B0N1C0<br>902-893-0253<br><a href=3D"mailto:birdvet@hotmail.=
com" target=3D"_blank">birdvet@hotmail.com</a><br>
www.cwrc.net<br><br>

--bcaec55556b214550804cfc2e05d--