[NatureNS] Possible sightings

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2012 00:11:07 +0000

--_fe2451da-e46b-4413-8575-3600732e8cb5_

Hi all:
=20
I cannot confirm any of the sighting that I'm about to report so do not tak=
e them as givens.  I was driving during all of these and it was not conveni=
ent or I had no time to pull off before the birds disappeared.  On November=
 30=2C I'm close to 100 percent sure that I saw a red-shouldered hawk being=
 harrassed by crows over the Bridgewater Atlantic Superstore.  I was going =
through an intersection at the time and therefore this is why I cannot say =
for totally sure as I could not stop for a better view.  I was able to know=
 that it definitely was not a red-tailed hawk.  It was not that far off the=
 ground=2C and I got a good look at the underside and the tail. It definite=
ly was the right size for a red-shouldered hawk.  No black knuckles showed.=
  The tail also was not red=2C but that is the best I can do.
=20
On the way to Halifax today near Chester=2C a large raptor soared by.  It h=
ad a very long tail so I'm assuming it was a northern harrier.  Again I jus=
t got the silouette and was driving=2C so not a confirmed sighting. =20
=20
On the way back from Halifax=2C this evening just as it was close to dark=
=2C just outside of Bridgewater=2C two birds whizzed over the top of the ca=
r.  Again along the 103.  They would either have been two Wilson's snipe or=
 two American Woodcocks.  Although I'm leaning towards American Woodcock I =
cannot say for sure. =20
=20
James R. Hirtle
Bridgewater
=20
(Note I did not record any of these birds as givens=2C just as a heads up.)=
 		 	   		  =

--_fe2451da-e46b-4413-8575-3600732e8cb5_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Tahoma
}
--></style></head>
<FONT size=3D4>
<BR id=3DecxFontBreak>Hi all:<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
I cannot confirm any of the sighting that I'm about to report so do not tak=
e them as givens.&nbsp=3B I was driving during all of these and it was not =
convenient or I had no time to pull off before the birds disappeared.&nbsp=
=3B On November 30=2C I'm close to 100 percent sure that I saw a red-should=
ered hawk being harrassed by crows over the Bridgewater Atlantic Superstore=
.&nbsp=3B I was going through an intersection at the time and therefore thi=
s is why I cannot say for totally sure as I could not stop for a better vie=
w.&nbsp=3B I was able to know that it definitely was not a red-tailed hawk.=
&nbsp=3B It&nbsp=3Bwas not that far off the ground=2C and I got a good look=
 at the underside and the tail.&nbsp=3BIt definitely was the right size for=
 a red-shouldered hawk.&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3BNo black knuckles showed.&nbsp=3B Th=
e tail also was not red=2C but that is the best I can do.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
On the way to Halifax today near Chester=2C a large raptor soared by.&nbsp=
=3B It had a very long tail so I'm assuming it was a northern harrier.&nbsp=
=3B Again I just got the silouette and was driving=2C so not a confirmed si=
ghting.&nbsp=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
On the way back from Halifax=2C this evening just as it was close to dark=
=2C just outside of Bridgewater=2C two birds whizzed over the top of the ca=
r.&nbsp=3B Again along the 103.&nbsp=3B They would either have been two Wil=
son's snipe or two American Woodcocks.&nbsp=3B Although I'm leaning towards=
 American Woodcock I cannot say for sure.&nbsp=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>
Bridgewater<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
(Note I did not record any of these birds as givens=2C just as a heads up.)=
</FONT><BR> 		 	   		  </div></body>

--_fe2451da-e46b-4413-8575-3600732e8cb5_--