[NatureNS] Cape Sable Island Dec. 2

From: Larry Neily <larry.neily@hotmail.com>
To: Post to NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2012 22:11:17 -0500

--_bc187570-eda6-4449-a32f-a6571fd25611_

Hi All=2C Antoinette & I were on Cape Sable Island today (Dec. 2). On our w=
ay down we had a flock of 5 Turkey Vultures along the 101 at Exit 32 (km 25=
). On the island Johnny & Sandra Nickerson showed us the Great Egret (still=
 there with a Great Blue Heron) at Daniel's Head. While searching unsuccess=
fully for the American Bittern at the Guzzle=2C we found 2 Snow Geese. Late=
r=2C on our own=2C we had 3 American Pipits where Johnny had said they'd be=
 (on the rocky point to the right of where New Road reaches the beach). Mur=
ray Newell parked with us at the IBA sign as we watched the tide go out. Un=
fortunately=2C the shorebirds stayed farther out (as opposed to the closer =
views yesterday). There was a sometimes disjointed flock of at least a hund=
red or two smaller shorebirds=2C consisting mostly=2C if not wholly=2C of D=
unlin and Sanderlings. Wind and sun and watering eyes made observation diff=
icult. Toward the end of our time there=2C one Black-bellied Plover joined =
them. Murray caught sight of a group of probable Black-bellied Plovers in a=
 gully farther out. But they did not reappear. Cheers=2C Larry Neily 		 	  =
 		  =

--_bc187570-eda6-4449-a32f-a6571fd25611_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Tahoma
}
--></style></head>

Hi All=2C<BR>&nbsp=3B<BR>Antoinette &amp=3B I were on Cape Sable Island tod=
ay (Dec. 2). On our way down we had a flock of 5 Turkey Vultures along the =
101 at Exit 32 (km 25). On the island Johnny &amp=3B Sandra Nickerson showe=
d us the Great Egret (still there with a Great Blue Heron) at Daniel's Head=
. While searching unsuccessfully for&nbsp=3Bthe American Bittern at the Guz=
zle=2C we found 2 Snow Geese. Later=2C on our own=2C we had 3 American Pipi=
ts where Johnny had said they'd be (on the rocky point to the right of wher=
e New Road reaches the beach). Murray Newell parked with us at the IBA sign=
 as we watched the tide go out. Unfortunately=2C the shorebirds stayed fart=
her out (as opposed to the closer views yesterday). There was a sometimes d=
isjointed flock of at least a hundred or two smaller shorebirds=2C consisti=
ng mostly=2C if not wholly=2C of Dunlin and Sanderlings. Wind and sun and w=
atering eyes made observation difficult. Toward the end of our time there=
=2C one Black-bellied Plover joined them. Murray caught sight of a group of=
 probable Black-bellied Plovers in a gully farther out. But they did not re=
appear. Cheers=2C Larry Neily<BR> 		 	   		  </div></body>

--_bc187570-eda6-4449-a32f-a6571fd25611_--