[NatureNS] Another Hfx Hbr Sea Creature

From: Hubcove@aol.com
Full-name: Hubcove
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2012 18:24:53 -0500 (EST)
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--part1_29b61.4ea1a0db.3dee8ec5_boundary

With the  greatest respect for the Grand Manan gang, I  don't think for a
moment that it was a basking shark. I have seen many of them  over the years,
particularly on passage around Ireland when I was a young  officer and they
were hunted for their liver. The dorsal fin is invariably  larger and more
pointed and much more significant and the tail is often seen . I  did
provide the museum with some samples from a dead one in the Bay a couple of  years
ago. Although the dorsal is a little larger than I would expect I would
vote for a harbor porpoise. We have had a family resident here in the bay for
a  few years and they typically don't display their bodies like their larger
 cousins. Invariably all you see is the dorsal and only a trace of the body
when  they blow. The shape of the dorsal is consistent with the ones we see
 here.
Peter Stow
Hubbards

In a message dated 03/12/2012 2:20:16 P.M. Atlantic Standard Time,