[NatureNS] Other Heart of the Valley / Margaretsville Birds of interest Dec. 9

From: "Wayne P. Neily" <neilyornis@hotmail.com>
To: NatureNS List <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
CC: "Larry E. Neily" <larry.neily@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 03:05:44 -0400

--_8f2456b8-8bab-481a-b603-2f4d687ecc1b_

Hello=2C again=2C
=20
   First=2C my apologies for the duplicate message re finches that most of =
you just received from me.   Hotmail told me that the first send did not wo=
rk=2C so I tried it again - grrr - someday=2C I'll learn to use these curse=
d machines!  Anyway=2C just delete one of them.
=20
  Besides the redpolls and crossbills=2C my brother Larry and I had some ot=
her birds of interest in the Kingston XBC area December 9.  First=2C We aga=
in found Golden-crowned Kinglets=2C that have been scarce in our area for s=
everal years=2C ln the hemlocks of Stronach Park=2C where a few had been fo=
und on the i.d. outing/workshop on Dec. 2 - this time at least six=2C a few=
 allowing good views.  They were also seen and heard at other sites=2C so k=
eep an ear and eye open for them on Count Day. As we get older=2C of course=
=2C they get harder to hear=2C which may be a factor in their population "d=
ecline"=2C so party leaders are encouraged to add a young=2C sharp-eared me=
mber to your team if you do not already have one.  A Brown Creeper in there=
 was another species that we do not get every day=2C along with 4+ Red-brea=
sted Nuthatches.
=20
   Most of the other species seen were expected ones=2C but on the South Mo=
untain road we had two Canada Jays (Gray Jays for those who slavishly follo=
w the AOU names)=3B  in Nictaux an adult Bald agle flew over=2C and at a po=
nd along a private road in Torbrook=2C a male Wood Duck appeared briefly.
=20
   At Margaretsville a strong west wind (about 30-35 km/h) kept the water t=
oo rough to see much=2C but there were some of the usual gulls=2C loons (2 =
species)=2C a Horned Grebe and a Black Guillemot.  Farther out was quite a =
lot of activity -- feeding flocks of smaller gulls bouncing up and down=2C =
and some of them came close enough to allow us to confirm them as Black-leg=
ged Kittiwakes - at least 80 of them=2C the most that I have seen this far =
up the Bay.  If the light had lasted until high tide=2C I suspect that we w=
ould have been able to pick out other species.  We had one adult Northern G=
annet=2C some unidentfied ducks and alcids=2C and possibly fulmars that we =
could not confirm.  Any of you who can get out to check what is moving here=
 over the next two weeks=2C please let me know.
 =20
Cheers=2C

Wayne P. Neily
Tremont=2C Kings Co.=2C Nova Scotia

"Think globally=2C Act locally." - Ren=E9 Dubos=2C 1972.=20
 		 	   		  =

--_8f2456b8-8bab-481a-b603-2f4d687ecc1b_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Tahoma
}
--></style></head>
Hello=2C again=2C<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B First=2C my apologies for the duplicate message re finches=
 that most of you just received from me.&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B Hotmail told me th=
at the first send did not work=2C so I tried it again - grrr - someday=2C I=
'll learn to use these cursed machines!&nbsp=3B Anyway=2C just delete one o=
f them.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
&nbsp=3B Besides the redpolls and crossbills=2C my brother&nbsp=3BLarry and=
 I had some other birds of interest in the Kingston XBC area December 9.&nb=
sp=3B First=2C We again found Golden-crowned Kinglets=2C that have been sca=
rce in our area for several years=2C ln the hemlocks of Stronach Park=2C wh=
ere a few had been found on the i.d. outing/workshop on Dec. 2 - this&nbsp=
=3Btime at least six=2C a few allowing good views.&nbsp=3B They were also s=
een and heard at other sites=2C so keep an ear and eye open for them on Cou=
nt Day. As we get older=2C of course=2C they get harder to hear=2C which ma=
y be a factor in their population "decline"=2C so party leaders are encoura=
ged to add a young=2C sharp-eared member to your team if you do not already=
 have one.&nbsp=3B A Brown Creeper in there was another species that we do =
not get every day=2C along with 4+ Red-breasted Nuthatches.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B Most of the other species seen were expected ones=2C but o=
n the South Mountain road we had two Canada Jays (Gray Jays for those who s=
lavishly follow the AOU names)=3B&nbsp=3B in Nictaux an adult Bald agle fle=
w over=2C and at a pond along a private road in Torbrook=2C a male Wood Duc=
k appeared briefly.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B At Margaretsville a strong west wind (about 30-35 km/h) ke=
pt the water too rough to see much=2C but there were some of the usual gull=
s=2C loons (2 species)=2C a Horned Grebe and a Black Guillemot.&nbsp=3B Far=
ther out was quite a lot of activity -- feeding flocks of smaller gulls bou=
ncing up and down=2C and some of them came close enough to allow us to conf=
irm them as <STRONG>Black-legged Kittiwakes </STRONG>- at least 80 of them=
=2C the most that I have seen this far up the Bay.&nbsp=3B If the light had=
 lasted until high tide=2C I suspect that we would have been able to pick o=
ut other species.&nbsp=3B We had one adult Northern&nbsp=3BGannet=2C some u=
nidentfied ducks and alcids=2C and possibly fulmars that we could not confi=
rm.&nbsp=3B Any of you who can get out to check what is moving here over th=
e next two weeks=2C please let me know.<BR>
&nbsp=3B <BR>Cheers=2C<BR><BR>
<P class=3DecxecxecxMsoNormal>
<P class=3DecxecxecxMsoNormal><SPAN lang=3DEN-US><FONT face=3D"Times New Ro=
man"><STRONG><FONT size=3D5></FONT></STRONG></FONT></SPAN></P>
<DIV>Wayne P. Neily<BR>Tremont=2C Kings Co.=2C Nova Scotia</DIV>
<DIV><BR>"Think globally=2C Act locally." - Ren=E9 Dubos=2C 1972. <BR></DIV=

--_8f2456b8-8bab-481a-b603-2f4d687ecc1b_--