[NatureNS] Gulls in Vee formation

From: Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 14:32:41 -0400
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--90e6ba3fd8f56fab3104d097e9f1

Hi,

I'm surprised you haven't noticed that before, as it happens many evenings
over my house, and has done for years! I think these are birds heading out
to spend the night on the Minas Basin or Boot Island, and I less often see
them heading west again in the morning - ? to fields further down the
Valley. I keep hoping to see a LBBG to add to my "yard list" but it hasn't
happened yet. I have a friend with a cottage at Porter's Point, and the
phenomenon is even more noticeable there, as presumably the large flocks of
gull in the fields around Canard and Canning fly over there in the same
way. Often the flocks are in loose formation, but I have also regularly
seen them forming Vees. Cormorants do the same. Crows don't seem to - there
were about 1,000 flying into trees around the shopping area in New Minas a
couple of nights ago at dusk.

Talking of LBB Gulls, there seems to be at least one in every flock of
Herring Gulls around the field between Kentville and Canning these days,
and this morning was no exception, with 1 across from Wittenburg's Poultry.

Richard

--
#################
Richard Stern,

--90e6ba3fd8f56fab3104d097e9f1

Hi,<br><br>I&#39;m surprised you haven&#39;t noticed that before, as it hap=
pens many evenings over my house, and has done for years! I think these are=
 birds heading out to spend the night on the Minas Basin or Boot Island, an=
d I less often see them heading west again in the morning - ? to fields fur=
ther down the Valley. I keep hoping to see a LBBG to add to my &quot;yard l=
ist&quot; but it hasn&#39;t happened yet. I have a friend with a cottage at=
 Porter&#39;s Point, and the phenomenon is even more noticeable there, as p=
resumably the large flocks of gull in the fields around Canard and Canning =
fly over there in the same way. Often the flocks are in loose formation, bu=
t I have also regularly seen them forming Vees. Cormorants do the same. Cro=
ws don&#39;t seem to - there were about 1,000 flying into trees around the =
shopping area in New Minas a couple of nights ago at dusk.<br>

Herring Gulls around the field between Kentville and Canning these days, an=
d this morning was no exception, with 1 across from Wittenburg&#39;s Poultr=
y.<br>

PM, andy dean <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:aadean@ns.sympatico.c=
quote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc=
 solid;padding-left:1ex">

I walk regularly in the morning and usually notice scattered groups of gull=
s<br>
heading east to west in haphazard fashion, but one early morning recently =
=A0I<br>
saw four flocks of gulls , about fifteen to twenty =A0each time, =A0heading=
 west<br>
in Vee formation....I thought they were geese until they came closer. I hav=
e<br>
never seen gulls forming up this way and wonder if maybe it is a recent<br>
innovation....or maybe they were migrating? =A0Any suggestions?<br>
Andy<br>
Andy and Lelia Dean<br>
86 Baden Powell Drive<br>
Kentville, N.S.<br>
(902) 678-6243<br>
chard Stern, <br>Port Williams, NS, Canada<br><a href=3D"mailto:sternrichar=
d@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">sternrichard@gmail.com</a><br>##############=
#####<br>

--90e6ba3fd8f56fab3104d097e9f1--