[NatureNS] Down our throats: Fed-up with salmon feedlots

From: John and Nhung <nhungjohn@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 22:26:02 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_004D_01CDD8B7.AB1F9180

To:  all

From:  John Sollows

Date: Dec. 12/12

Went through your article Chris, and you have concisely covered the
reservations on salmonid cage culture as well as anyone I've read.

By the way, most of my working life was/ has been spent on aquaculture
research development in poorer societies, with a little initial work on
mollusc culture in this corner of the world.  I got into it because (a)I saw
it as a way to reduce fishing pressure on wild stocks, and (b) it has
potential to feed hungry people.

So, a few sidebars from me:

n  The food chain bit in your article is why I was never interested in
salmonid culture of any type.  They are all carnivorous.  Ya gotta catch
fish to feed fish, and that doesn't make environmental sense to me.  We
should be eating those trash fish, not salmon.  However, that isn't gonna
change unless we get a lot poorer.

n  The corollary to this is that salmon are expensive to raise, so will
never be an important food for poor people.

n  Personally, the presence of a couple of cages in an embayment doesn't
bother me, but the apparent ease with which such an operation can expand
many-fold and fast scares the hell out of me.

n  Re. genetic contamination: (a) I always thought the idea of raising
Atlantic salmon on the west coast was a terrible one, because of the
potential for escape, reproduction, and competition with native species.
(b) I have heard the alarms raised about escapes of Atlantic salmon on this
coast and the potential to contaminate existing stocks, and am more
ambivalent here.  Every species (and every population) evolves, through
natural selection on a genetically diverse population.  If the genes of
escapees get introduced into a wild Atlantic Salmon stock, I kind of suspect
natural selection will operate, as usual.  I have listened to the arguments,
but am still not very alarmed.   I may be missing something, but personally
find there are plenty of more convincing arguments to raise cautions against
large-scale salmonid cage culture.

n  To me, the scariest part of your article was the last bit, re. trade
agreements.  I don't know the details, but don't governments have a
fundamental duty to protect our long-term interests?