[NatureNS] Woods Harbour to Barrington with CSI Christmas Bird Count

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>,
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2012 02:32:00 +0000

--_5533ad46-c3d7-485a-abeb-6ea3ce8a6776_

Hi all:
=20
Dorothy Poole and I had a good day on our section of the Shelburne Christma=
s Bird Count and found some good birds.  We do from Woods Harbour back to B=
arrington Passage. =20
=20
Our first bird was a clay-colored sparrow.  This was out on the outer borde=
r of where our part of the circle starts. =20
=20
We had an adult lesser black-backed gull at the Woods Harbour Lobster Pound=
. =20
=20
If you walk to the shore at the Woods Harbour Lobster Pound=2C there is a s=
horeline trail to the left that goes in a short ways.  We found two brown c=
reepers together there and also two different plumaged orange-crowned warbl=
ers.
=20
At house 6617 in Woods Harbour we discovered a northern mockingbird.
=20
In all we had yellow-rumped warblers in about four locations.  A total numb=
er of 38.  At one section we had at least 28 yellow-rumped warblers.  There=
 likely were more=2C but it was difficult to get an accurate count as these=
 birds flew back and forth.  At one point we had about 12-15 coming out on =
a single evergreen tree.  I watched another warbler approach and observed a=
 fall plumaged blackpoll warbler with the striping and typical olive green =
breast.  It was less than two metres from me.  It then disappeared back int=
o the evergreen and likely flew off with the yellow-rumps which departed in=
to the sun on the other side of the drive. We also had a single white-winge=
d crossbill at this location.
=20
We managed to find one great blue heron and a belted kingfisher also.
=20
James R. Hirtle
Bridgewater
=20
  		 	   		  =

--_5533ad46-c3d7-485a-abeb-6ea3ce8a6776_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Tahoma
}
--></style></head>
<FONT size=3D4>
<BR id=3DecxFontBreak>Hi all:<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Dorothy Poole and I had a good day on our section of the Shelburne Christma=
s Bird Count and found some good birds.&nbsp=3B We do from Woods Harbour ba=
ck to Barrington Passage.&nbsp=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Our first bird was a clay-colored sparrow.&nbsp=3B This was out on the oute=
r border of where our part of the circle starts.&nbsp=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
We had an adult lesser&nbsp=3Bblack-backed gull at the Woods Harbour Lobste=
r Pound.&nbsp=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
If you walk to the shore at the Woods Harbour Lobster Pound=2C there is a s=
horeline trail to the left that goes in a short ways.&nbsp=3B We found two =
brown creepers together there and also two different plumaged orange-crowne=
d warblers.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
At house 6617 in Woods Harbour we discovered a northern mockingbird.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
In all we had yellow-rumped warblers in about four locations.&nbsp=3B A tot=
al number of 38.&nbsp=3B At one section we had at least 28 yellow-rumped wa=
rblers.&nbsp=3B There likely were more=2C but it was difficult to get an ac=
curate count as these birds flew back and forth.&nbsp=3B At one point we ha=
d about 12-15 coming out on a single evergreen tree.&nbsp=3B I watched anot=
her warbler approach and observed a fall plumaged blackpoll warbler with th=
e striping and typical olive green breast.&nbsp=3B It was less than two met=
res from me.&nbsp=3B It then disappeared back into the evergreen and likely=
 flew off&nbsp=3Bwith the yellow-rumps which departed into the sun on the o=
ther side of the drive.&nbsp=3BWe also had a single white-winged crossbill =
at this location.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
We managed to find one great blue heron and a belted kingfisher also.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>
Bridgewater<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
&nbsp=3B</FONT><BR> 		 	   		  </div></body>

--_5533ad46-c3d7-485a-abeb-6ea3ce8a6776_--