[NatureNS] mockingbird port williams, wood duck, pintail,

Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2012 11:43:15 -0400
From: g4syth@staff.ednet.ns.ca
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca, g4syth@staff.ednet.ns.ca
Cc: alison@bogan.ca, naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Again,

I have just returned from the Port Williams sewage lagoons. There is a
nice flock of ducks there right now. Among the 250+ birds I was able
to see a male female pair of Gadwall on the north pond with a smaller
flock of mallards. The south pond a dense flock of more than two
hundred birds loafing on the north bank out of the wind and in the
sun. Among this hoard were two mallard X black, a hen pintail and a
drake wood duck.

If people are trying for birds on these ponds in the winter you need
to use the brick utility building as a blind as you walk up the grass
hill to the ponds, then sneek and peek around the corners. As hunting
season is just ending the birds spook easily. There are also lots of
dogs being walked in this area and they often flush the ducks.Quoting
g4syth@staff.ednet.ns.ca: