[NatureNS] Wild Turkeys in N.B.

Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 20:34:51 -0500
From: Fred Schueler <bckcdb@istar.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Cc: NATURENB@LISTSERV.UNB.CA

Quoting Hubcove@aol.com (on NatureNS):

> A neighbor... farms about 30 or 40 miles East  of St
> Stephen NB and he tells me that turkeys are common and plentiful on
> his  land.
> Don't know their origin however, although we often see them on the
> side of  the highway in Maine.

* provincial authorities in Ontario and Manitoba endorsed
introductions of Turkeys in the mid-1980s only when Turkeys spread to
the border and began to walk over. In our area, at the time when the
Ministry of Natural Resources began to allow sportsmen's groups to
introduce Turkeys elsewhere in the province they evidently (according
to a fellow who was working with the MNR) just put speakers playing
Turkey calls on the Ontario side of the St Lawrence, and lured flocks
across the ice. They began showing up here in 1985, were abundant by
the time of the Ice Storm in 1998, and now we see flocks of 50 in
harvested corn fields.

If the account in Macleans is correct, it looks like New Brunswick is
just following the pattern - I think that if there's 600 Turkeys
really wild in NB, then they can already be regarded as established
there.

fred.

> In a message dated 18/12/2012 7:50:07 P.M. Atlantic Standard Time,
> soudekd@ns.sympatico.ca writes (on NatureNS):
>
>    According to the latest issue of Maclean's magazine, dated  January 7,
> 2013 (!), the province of New Brunswick is close to allowing  the
> introduction of wild turkeys, largely for hunting tourism and
> economic  reasons. Is
> this species native to the province? Are we talking about an
> introduction of a
> new species or re-introduction of a previously extirpated  species?
> Currently there are an estimated 600 wild turkeys in N.B., the result  of
> unofficial releases.
> Dusan Soudek

          Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
          South Nation Basin Art & Science Book