[NatureNS] Possible unusual bird at white Point

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 16:16:52 -0400

This afternoon as we were doing our solstice wreaths when a bird flew into
the tree along the driveway and called and called. A different sound from
the normal busy calls about this fall.  sound like an extended cheep that
didn't change in tone or length of call. Evenly spaced, a pause between each
call. It came down to the feeder cautiously but once on the ground under the
grapevine it let us move around and paid us no heed until the camera came
out. I would say a hungry bird.
We did get a few poor shots of it. The wing pattern is quite strange; a
sideways chevron and then a patch of white on each wing more than a bar of
white...very interesting. and the lower back is patterned with a double
cross for want of a better description. A smallish bird looks a bit bigger
than a Goldfinch has an olive-greenish  cast to it and the beak has a bit of
an over hang.
The pattern on the wing I haven't ever seen. Closest we could come to it
searching page by page would be a lark bunting but not even that close.
The bird has been coming and going. We'll try again to get photos but if you
want what I have so far email me back, please.
Best regards, Marg Millard, White Point