[NatureNS] Basement Salamander

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: NatureNS@chebucto.ns.ca
Cc: John Gilhen <GILHENJA@gov.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2012 11:55:15 -0400

Dear All,                            Dec 22, 2012
    This morning, while renewing newspapers in a wet area of the basement, I
found of all things a Salamander. Perhaps it is the usual Red Backed but I
see only four toes on the hind leg, a reddish back becomes mottled with
black from the proximal 1/6 of the tail and black with scattered red on the
distal half. Throat is pale, underside pale gray with dark spots. Toe length
(1 smallest) from the body outward is 2431. Between the innermost toe and
the body there is a low stub but it does not look like a toe.

    I will try to get photos later but in the meantime is the above more
consistent with the four toed or red backed ?

Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville