[NatureNS] Images: Fw: Basement Salamander

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: NatureNS@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2012 09:59:24 -0400

Hello:                            Dec 24, 2012
    I now have four images and have tentatively concluded that it is an
aberrant Red-backed with four toes (or perhaps five). If anyone with
experience would care to look at them, and can accept 4 images at 1 MB each,
let me know.

    It has far too many intercostal grooves for 4 toed (17 by one count),
ventral surface of abdomen too dark... The hind toe formula is 2431, 13542
if the stub next to the body is counted (shortest 1, counting from body out)
whereas Collins gives 15243. Perhaps this toe formula for Red-backed is not
consistent.
    I am wondering where to put it. The best bet that comes to mind is well
down in an old-growth compost pile.
Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville