[NatureNS] Birding Guides

From: Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2013 20:50:37 -0400
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--bcaec553ff3c12ea8004d2941bd3

Hi,

I'll weigh in on this one.

There are now 4 or 5 good field guides to birds that are applicable to NS.
Some have photos, others have more stylized paintings. At least 2 have
combinations of both. IMHO the 2 best are the latest NGS, and Sibley's.
Both have stylized paintings. I feel that those give a much better
impression than a photo, A relative beginner might find the sheer numbers
of pictures and paintings in each daunting, but on the other hand, there
are many winter plumaged, female and imm. birds that are seen here, that
are just not illustrated in less comprehensive guides, and therefore less
experienced observers may think that a bird they have seen is some extreme
rarity , or "isn't in the book", when it is if you use the right book. I
peronally feel that taking the trouble to use a comprehensive field guide
properly is much better in the long run than superficially using a dumbed
down one, except perhaps for an absolute beginner.

Just as important as which guide to use, is how to use it properly. All the
guides have preliminary chapters on how to go about identifying a bird,
what to look for when you think you have a rarity, etc. It's essential to
read these. I would also recommend Sibley's Birding Basics, a non-field
guide, but which explains the principles of bird ID extremely well.

Some of the guides also now come as smart phone apps, and they have 2
advantages if you already have a smart phone - one is, it's always with
you. The other is that they come with audible vocalisations that you can
play, and are much better than written descriptions of calls and songs.

There is a couple locally who are friends of mine, and they have recently
caught the birding bug, have started to put up feeders, and are still at
the stage of great excitement when they have IDd a Junco or Evening
Grosbeak. They asked the same question - which is the "best" bird guide. I
recommended the Iphone/ Ipad version of Sibley's, for the above reasons,
and they are getting along very nicely with it. It is always my "go to"
field guide when I need one. There's nothing wrong with Peterson, but IMHO
Sibley's is the best, with the latest NGS being a close 2nd.

Hope this helps,

Richard

--
#################
Richard Stern,

--bcaec553ff3c12ea8004d2941bd3

 field guides to birds that are applicable to NS. Some have photos, others =
have more stylized paintings. At least 2 have combinations of both. IMHO th=
e 2 best are the latest NGS, and Sibley&#39;s. Both have stylized paintings=
. I feel that those give a much better impression than a photo, A relative =
beginner might find the sheer numbers of pictures and paintings in each dau=
nting, but on the other hand, there are many winter plumaged, female and im=
m. birds that are seen here, that are just not illustrated in less comprehe=
nsive guides, and therefore less experienced observers may think that a bir=
d they have seen is some extreme rarity , or &quot;isn&#39;t in the book&qu=
ot;, when it is if you use the right book. I peronally feel that taking the=
 trouble to use a comprehensive field guide properly is much better in the =
long run than superficially using a dumbed down one, except perhaps for an =
absolute beginner.<br>

 the guides have preliminary chapters on how to go about identifying a bird=
, what to look for when you think you have a rarity, etc. It&#39;s essentia=
l to read these. I would also recommend Sibley&#39;s Birding Basics, a non-=
field guide, but which explains the principles of bird ID extremely well. <=
br>

dvantages if you already have a smart phone - one is, it&#39;s always with =
you. The other is that they come with audible vocalisations that you can pl=
ay, and are much better than written descriptions of calls and songs.<br>

ly caught the birding bug, have started to put up feeders, and are still at=
 the stage of great excitement when they have IDd a Junco or Evening Grosbe=
ak. They asked the same question - which is the &quot;best&quot; bird guide=
. I recommended the Iphone/ Ipad version of Sibley&#39;s, for the above rea=
sons, and they are getting along very nicely with it. It is always my &quot=
;go to&quot; field guide when I need one. There&#39;s nothing wrong with Pe=
terson, but IMHO Sibley&#39;s is the best, with the latest NGS being a clos=
e 2nd.<br>

t, Jan 5, 2013 at 7:54 PM, Sean Dzafovic <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"m=
ailto:sdzafovic@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">sdzafovic@gmail.com</a>&gt;</s=
pan> wrote:<br>

x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">Is there a consensus on the &quot;best&quot;=
 birding guide? I have the Peterson<br>
Guide to Birds of North America, but I read of many people on this<br>
list referring to Sibley&#39;s.<br>
Thanks,<br>
Sean Dzafovic<br>
chard Stern, <br>Port Williams, NS, Canada<br><a href=3D"mailto:sternrichar=
d@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">sternrichard@gmail.com</a><br>##############=
#####

--bcaec553ff3c12ea8004d2941bd3--