[NatureNS] Odd Alberta Insect

Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2013 18:54:11 -0400
From: Peter Payzant <pce@accesswave.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--Boundary_(ID_NaVOcE+S8SzoYSIBDlaqrQ)

Thanks to all who contributed to identifying this bug. I'm inclining to
Chionea sp. on the basis of the mouthparts, as suggested by David
McCorquodale, but as usual it would have been nice to have a specimen.

Until now I had only known about Springtails and Winter Crane Flies as
winter-active insects. The things one learns on NatureNS!

Peter Payzant
Waverley, NS

On 2013-01-09 5:26 PM, David McCorquodale wrote:
> I think it is a limoniid crane fly in the genus /Chionea/.  They are
> wingless and active on the snow.  They are widespread here in NS as
> well as in forested areas of Alberta.
>
> Bugguide has photos where you can compare 'snow flies':
> http://bugguide.net/node/view/358908
> with snow scorpionflies (notice the mouthparts protruding):
> http://bugguide.net/node/view/169476
>
> DBMcC

--Boundary_(ID_NaVOcE+S8SzoYSIBDlaqrQ)

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
      identifying this bug. I'm inclining to Chionea sp. on the basis of
      the mouthparts, as suggested by David McCorquodale, but as usual
      it would have been nice to have a specimen. <br>
      Until now I had only known about Springtails and Winter Crane
      Flies as winter-active insects. The things one learns on NatureNS!<br>
      Peter Payzant<br>
      Waverley, NS<br>
      On 2013-01-09 5:26 PM, David McCorquodale wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CAMYYejRO4FThMq9_MgZZHsostkT=ab1jHH5Ff5x5Ye9CnLLLug@mail.gmail.com"
      type="cite">
        &nbsp;They are wingless and active on the snow. &nbsp;They are widespread
        here in NS as well as in forested areas of Alberta.
          'snow&nbsp;flies': <a moz-do-not-send="true"
            href="http://bugguide.net/node/view/358908">http://bugguide.net/node/view/358908</a>&nbsp;
          &nbsp;</div>
          protruding):&nbsp;<a moz-do-not-send="true"
            href="http://bugguide.net/node/view/169476">http://bugguide.net/node/view/169476</a></div>

--Boundary_(ID_NaVOcE+S8SzoYSIBDlaqrQ)--