[NatureNS] Coastal Birding in Lunenburg Co. today - highlights

From: Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2013 20:57:01 -0400
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>, NS-RBA <NS-RBA@yahoogroups.com>

--e89a8f22c4afe546ae04d3210200

Rick Whitman and I had a great day's birding today in Lunenburg Co. We
started at Kingsburg and Hitrtle's Beaches, then went over the LaHave Ferry
to W.Dublin and Green Bay, also Crescent Beach, and then walked the whole
length of Cherry Hill Beach and back.

There were BUFFLEHEAD, R-B MERGANSERS and HORNED GREBES everywhere we
looked. Several C.EIDERS, including 1 big flock flying over Cherry Hill,
There were 3 F.BLACK SCOTER at Crescent Beach. Also there were 2
BONAPARTE's and 1 BLACK-HEADED GULL, making a nice comparison. As the tide
there fell, exposing the mud and marsh on the north side of the causeway,
we found a puzzling shorebird that we rather rashly decided was a Stilt
Sandpiper, but after viewing photos this evening, others more expert IDd it
as a RED KNOT (we never even thought of that one!) - still unusual in
Winter. It was with 2 DUNLIN. Also nice were 2 or 3 BOREAL CHICKADEES in
trees at the east end close enough for photos. There was a RUFFED GROUSE
on a track leading off the main road nearby.

On the mud-flats at Cherry Hill Beach were 2 RUDDY TURNSTONES, 2
BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER and another DUNLIN, . Waalking back along the edge of
the beach at low tide was a DOVEKIE.

We saw small numbers of probable Redpolls, some PIPITS and SNOW BUNTINGS,
but not much else in the way of passerines.

The sun was out and there was no wind - beautiful NS scenery. I put some
photos of birds and scenery here - http://tinyurl.com/bxc8zhh .

Richard

--
#################
Richard Stern,

--e89a8f22c4afe546ae04d3210200

Rick Whitman and I had a great day&#39;s birding today in Lunenburg Co. We =
started at Kingsburg and Hitrtle&#39;s Beaches, then went over the LaHave F=
erry to W.Dublin and Green Bay, also Crescent Beach, and then walked the wh=
ole length of Cherry Hill Beach and back.<br>

ooked. Several C.EIDERS, including 1 big flock flying over Cherry Hill, The=
re were 3 F.BLACK SCOTER at Crescent Beach. Also there were 2 BONAPARTE&#39=
;s and 1 BLACK-HEADED GULL, making a nice comparison. As the tide there fel=
l, exposing the mud and marsh on the north side of the causeway, we found a=
 puzzling shorebird that we rather rashly decided was a Stilt Sandpiper, bu=
t after viewing photos this evening, others more expert IDd it as a RED KNO=
T (we never even thought of that one!) - still unusual in Winter. It was wi=
th 2 DUNLIN. Also nice were 2 or 3 BOREAL CHICKADEES in trees at the east e=
nd close enough for photos. There was a RUFFED GROUSE=A0 on a track leading=
 off the main road nearby.<br>

BELLIED PLOVER and another DUNLIN, . Waalking back along the edge of the be=
ach at low tide was a DOVEKIE.<br><br>We saw small numbers of probable Redp=
olls, some PIPITS and SNOW BUNTINGS, but not much else in the way of passer=
ines.<br>

e photos of birds and scenery here - <a href=3D"http://tinyurl.com/bxc8zhh"=
r>

f=3D"mailto:sternrichard@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">sternrichard@gmail.co=