[NatureNS] Hoary Redpoll, Lower Rose Bay, Lun. Co.

From: "Eric L. Mills" <e.mills@dal.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2013 17:23:41 -0400

Hi Laura,

Thank you for letting  me know about it.

Hoary Redpolls, being more northern than Commons, are always scarce, and not every year
has a "Redpoll winter." There are only a couple of records for Brier Island, but then who is
looking for them in mid-winter (except yourself!)? I have seen only two through the years, the
first of which was a big one, and the second one of the smaller subspecies.

We keep putting off getting to the island for our once-a-month-in-winter visit - hope we can
make it later in February. "Retirement" turns out to be too busy to get everything done.

All the best to you and Sean,

Eric

On 4 Feb 2013 at 8:37, Laura Titus wrote:

> I saw a hoary redpoll last week at Pond Cove, on a path near the old
> sand dunes area. It flew very
> close by and landed on the ground beside me for a few seconds then
> flitted off into some alders.
>
> Laura Titus
> Brier Island

Eric L. Mills