[NatureNS] Green-winged Teal, Gadwalls, Greater Yellowlegs

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 04:12:10 +0000

--_a34e8560-d179-496b-989a-b45ecd971fba_

On Feb. 23=2C David Walmark and I saw a green-winged teal at the Back Oler =
Farm marsh in Garden Lots.  I spotted the two male gadwalls found a while b=
ack by Ronnie D'Entremont and Eric Mills on the Lunenburg waterfront by ABC=
O.  At Bayport the scaup flock was way over on the Feltzen South side=2C so=
 it was hard to gage number or if anything different was present=2C but I c=
ounted roughly 200 greater scaup. =20
=20
On February 24=2C I took a cruise out to Oakland.  Not far out on the left =
hand side of the road coming from Mahone Bay=2C is a large multifloral patc=
h.  There is a house there with a feeder and there are always northern card=
inals present.  Anyhow=2C the point of my pointing this out=2C is that I ha=
d a bird way up in the multifloral patch with American tree sparrows=2C may=
be two of the same species=2C of which the closest match that I can find wo=
uld be a brambling.   Lighting was poor and the birds flew before I could c=
onfirm what they might actually have been.  At the time I convinced myself =
that they likely were American tree sparrows=2C so I did not write down a h=
ouse number or coordinates or anything.  It has been eating away at me ever=
 since though as the wingbars=2C coloration of the chest and other features=
 just do not match that of what one would expect for an American tree sparr=
ow.  I'm convinced that there were at least two birds present that do not m=
atch a species that I've previously seen.  They will need to be left as unk=
nowns=2C but if anyone is out that way=2C you might want to check out the m=
ultiflora higher up on the hill. =20
=20
James R. Hirtle
Bridgewater =20
 		 	   		  =

--_a34e8560-d179-496b-989a-b45ecd971fba_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 12pt=3B
font-family:Calibri
}
--></style></head>
id Walmark and I saw a green-winged teal at the Back Oler Farm marsh in Gar=
den Lots.&nbsp=3B I spotted the two male gadwalls found a while back by Ron=
nie D'Entremont and Eric Mills on the Lunenburg waterfront by ABCO.&nbsp=3B=
 At Bayport the scaup flock was way over on the Feltzen South side=2C so it=
 was hard to gage number or if anything different was present=2C but I coun=
ted roughly 200 greater scaup.&nbsp=3B </FONT><BR>
<FONT size=3D4></FONT>&nbsp=3B<BR>
<FONT size=3D4>On February 24=2C I took a cruise out to Oakland.&nbsp=3B No=
t far out on the left hand side of the road coming from Mahone Bay=2C is a =
large multifloral patch.&nbsp=3B There is a house there with a feeder and t=
here are always northern cardinals present.&nbsp=3B Anyhow=2C the point of =
my pointing this out=2C is that I had a bird way up in the multifloral patc=
h with American tree sparrows=2C maybe two of&nbsp=3Bthe same species=2C of=
 which the&nbsp=3Bclosest match that I can find&nbsp=3Bwould be a brambling=
.&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B Lighting was poor and the birds flew before I could confi=
rm what they might actually have been.&nbsp=3B At the time I convinced myse=
lf that they likely were American tree sparrows=2C&nbsp=3Bso I did not writ=
e down&nbsp=3Ba house number or coordinates or anything.&nbsp=3B It has bee=
n eating away at me ever since though as the wingbars=2C coloration of the =
chest and other features just do not match that of what one would expect fo=
r an American tree sparrow.&nbsp=3B I'm convinced that there were at least =
two birds present that do not match a species that I've previously seen.&nb=
sp=3B They will need to be left as unknowns=2C but if anyone is out that wa=
y=2C you might want to check out the multiflora higher up on the hill.&nbsp=
=3B&nbsp=3B</FONT><BR>
<FONT size=3D4></FONT>&nbsp=3B<BR>
<FONT size=3D4>James R. Hirtle</FONT><BR>
<FONT size=3D4>Bridgewater&nbsp=3B <BR>
<BR id=3DFontBreak><BR></FONT> 		 	   		  </div></body>

--_a34e8560-d179-496b-989a-b45ecd971fba_--