[NatureNS] 4 new provincial parks, 44 new wilderness areas, 120 new nature reserves for N.S. ?

From: "Dusan Soudek" <soudekd@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "NatureNS" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>, <NSExplore@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2013 08:11:04 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0021_01CE1654.519ADA90

On Thursday the provincial departments of environment and of natural =
resources announced a major joint proposal to establish the above new =
protected lands, many fronting on our inland waterways and on our coast, =
as another important step in the =9312 % by 2015=94 initiative. In fact, =
if all the proposals are approved, the proportion of protected landbase =
in N.S. will exceed this legislated target and reach 13 %.

Moreover, many existing provincial parks, wilderness areas, and nature =
reserves will be expanded. On the other hand, some existing provincial =
park reserves would revert to being regular Crown land, and other =
properties, formerly considered for protection, have been dropped.=20

Some of the proposed designations, including those on the former Bowater =
Mersey Paper Company lands and several with significant mining =
potential, need to undergo another review. Overall, the proposal is =
superb, although some of the boundaries may need a bit of tweaking.

I hope that as many people as possible will review the massive proposal =
and submit either general or site-specific comments. An amazing =
interactive map of the entire province, chock-full with information, is =
available at
www.novascotia.ca/parksandprotectedareas/plan/interactive-map . A list =
of the proposed new protected lands plus contact information for =
comments are at
www.novascotia.ca/parksandprotectedareas .

Dusan Soudek

------=_NextPart_000_0021_01CE1654.519ADA90

<HTML><HEAD></HEAD>
<BODY dir=3Dltr>
<DIV dir=3Dltr>
<DIV style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: 'Calibri'; COLOR: #000000; FONT-SIZE: 12pt">
<DIV>
<DIV=20
style=3D"FONT-STYLE: normal; DISPLAY: inline; FONT-FAMILY: 'Calibri'; =
COLOR: #000000; FONT-SIZE: small; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; TEXT-DECORATION: =
none">
<DIV=20
style=3D"FONT-STYLE: normal; DISPLAY: inline; FONT-FAMILY: 'Calibri'; =
COLOR: #000000; FONT-SIZE: small; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; TEXT-DECORATION: =
none">On=20
Thursday the provincial departments of environment and of natural =
resources=20
announced a major joint proposal to establish the above new protected =
lands,=20
many fronting on our inland waterways and on our coast, as another =
important=20
step in the =9312 % by 2015=94 initiative. In fact, if all the proposals =
are=20
approved, the proportion of protected landbase in N.S. will exceed this=20
legislated target and reach 13 %.</DIV></DIV>
<DIV dir=3Dltr>
<DIV style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: 'Calibri'; COLOR: #000000; FONT-SIZE: 12pt">
<DIV>
<DIV dir=3Dltr>
<DIV style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: 'Calibri'; COLOR: #000000; FONT-SIZE: 12pt">
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Moreover, many existing provincial parks, wilderness areas, and =
nature=20
reserves will be expanded. On the other hand, some existing provincial =
park=20
reserves would revert to being regular Crown land, and other properties, =

formerly considered for protection, have been dropped. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Some of the proposed designations, including those on the former =
Bowater=20
Mersey Paper Company lands and several with significant mining =
potential, need=20
to undergo another review. Overall, the proposal is superb, although =
some of the=20
boundaries may need a bit of tweaking.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I hope that as many people as possible will review the massive =
proposal and=20
submit either general or site-specific comments. An amazing interactive =
map of=20
the entire province, chock-full with information, is available at</DIV>
<DIV><A=20
href=3D"http://www.novascotia.ca/parksandprotectedareas/plan/interactive-=
map">www.novascotia.ca/parksandprotectedareas/plan/interactive-map</A>=20
. A list of the proposed new protected lands plus contact information =
for=20
comments are at</DIV>
<DIV><A=20
href=3D"http://www.novascotia.ca/parksandprotectedareas">www.novascotia.c=
a/parksandprotectedareas</A>=20
.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Dusan Soudek</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></BODY><=
/HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0021_01CE1654.519ADA90--