[NatureNS] ? Predator That Would Kill Many Chickens/Ducks

From: bev wigney <bkwigney@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2013 08:59:03 -0700
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

When I had a farm back in Ontario, the most destructive predator that we ever had to deal with was a raccoon.  At one point, we came into the barn in the morning to find several dead hens - some partly eaten and some with just the heads or other parts chewed off.  The next night, we left the barn monitor system left on and heard some commotion going on around midnight.  We went out to find an adult raccoon with a couple of young, in the process of killing more hens.  They were climbing around up in the rafters of the barn dragging the hens down to kill them.  They made their escape through a ventilation slot up in the rafters.  We had so few hens remaining that we gave the rest of them away.

bev