[NatureNS] Wood Rats

Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 09:14:16 -0400
From: Fred Schueler <bckcdb@istar.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Y: 'Tahoma',
Quoting "Hebda, Andrew J" <HEBDAAJ@gov.ns.ca>:

> No records from collections or other trappng records that I have
> come across.  Will check with Don McAlpine (NB Museum) and Fred
> Scott (Acadia UNiversity Museum), but I wasn't aware of any other
> records in this part of the country.

* the nearest species of Neotoma, N. magister, is in serious decline -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allegheny_woodrat - the original message
reminded me of my first detection of a range extension - when we found
them under our porch in western Connecticut, beyond the range shown in
the Peterson field guide. The Connecticut populations were
subsequently detected by grownup biologists, but with the decline
they're extinct in the state now.

> Can you send me a description?  I have only come across them out west.

* a population on PEI would be an introduction, so it might be another
species than Neotoma magister, but if it is N. magister it could be of
significance in the conservation of the species.

fred.

          Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
          South Nation Basin Art & Science Book
          http://pinicola.ca/books/SNR_book.htm