[NatureNS] Wood Rats

Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 11:37:31 -0300
From: Ronald Arsenault <rongarsenault@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--089e013c6ab0516d4804d870479c

Sandy,

I find it highly improbable that there might be a self-sustaining
population of any rat species on PEI other than the Norway Rat.

I wonder though, if the rat you caught might have been an escaped or
intentionally released pet of some description?  Or perhaps
an exotic species was unintentionally transported to PEI with a shipment of
merchandise of some type?

Was this the only one ever seen?

Cheers,

Ron

--
Ronald G. Arsenault
Moncton, N.B.

--089e013c6ab0516d4804d870479c

=A0self-sustaining population of any rat species on PEI other than the Norw=
ht have been an escaped or intentionally released pet of some description? =
=A0Or perhaps an=A0exotic=A0species was unintentionally transported to PEI =
with a shipment of merchandise of some type? =A0</div>
iv class=3D"gmail_quote">On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 11:01 AM, Sandy Hiltz <spa=
n dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:birddog@ns.sympatico.ca" target=3D"_bla=
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">The rat that I caught was in the mid 1970s. =
From memory this rat was about<br>
the size of a Norway rat but<br>
it was striking in its different appearance. The color of the under hair wa=
s<br>
brownish grey on its back rather than grey of the Norway rat<br>
and had a light color to white underside. It had guard hairs similar to a<b=
r>
muskrat but more sparse.<br>
There was a number of guard type hairs the length of the tail. That is all =
I<br>
can provide with regard to description and it is all from memory.<br>
Everyone who saw this rat said they had never seen one like it before.<br>
r>Ronald G. Arsenault<br>Moncton, N.B.

--089e013c6ab0516d4804d870479c--