[NatureNS] Birding Shubenacadie area

Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2013 07:08:05 -0300
From: nancy dowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--14dae93d8c062fe2c704d935aee4

The Blue Jays do a very convincing Osprey imitation in this area. They seem
to be smart imitators and only do an "osprey" when the latter have returned
to our area.

Nancy
Corkums Island, Lun Co.

On Sat, Mar 30, 2013 at 8:12 PM, Kathleen MacAulay <
roughlegged_hawk@yahoo.ca> wrote:

> I had a thorough but fruitless search around Shubenacadie yesterday for
> the Golden Eagle reported by Hans earlier this week. I did see some
> raptors: Bald Eagles, including a definite pair, a juvenile Red-tailed Hawk
> and a female Northern Harrier.
>
> Perhaps a hundred Canada Geese were swimming in various spots along the
> river. Found my first Red-winged Blackbird of the year laying claim to a
> small pond. There were many singing juncos, Song Sparrows and chickadees,
> and I also picked up a singing Winter Wren. One of the farms had a flock of
> about 20 House Sparrows.
>
> Then today I heard a Blue Jay doing a credible imitation of a Bald Eagle -
> it sure had me fooled! I've heard them doing Red-tailed Hawk calls before
> but the eagle is a first for me.
>
> Kathleen MacAulay
> Milford Station, NS

--14dae93d8c062fe2c704d935aee4

n this area. They seem to be smart imitators and only do an &quot;osprey&qu=
y</div>
ay <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:roughlegged_hawk@yahoo.ca" targe=
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div><div style=3D"font-family:times new rom=
an,new york,times,serif;font-size:12pt">I had a thorough but fruitless sear=
ch around Shubenacadie yesterday for the Golden Eagle reported by Hans earl=
ier this week. I did see some raptors: Bald Eagles, including a definite pa=
ir, a juvenile Red-tailed Hawk and a female Northern Harrier. <br>
 river. Found my first Red-winged Blackbird of the year laying claim to a s=
mall pond. There were many singing juncos, Song Sparrows and chickadees, an=
d I also picked up a singing Winter Wren. One of the farms had a flock of a=
bout 20 House Sparrows.<br>
e - it sure had me fooled! I&#39;ve heard them doing Red-tailed Hawk calls =
before but the eagle is a first for me.<span class=3D"HOEnZb"><font color=
=3D"#888888"><br>
times new roman,new york,times,serif;font-size:12pt"> </div>  </font></span=

--14dae93d8c062fe2c704d935aee4--