[NatureNS] ice, water fowl and gulls

Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2013 19:07:28 -0300
From: Lois Codling <loiscodling@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--------------050301040900080409070708

Are there eagles in your area, Virginia?  When we see this happen in the
Bedford Basin we always look around high up for an incoming eagle.

Lois Codling

On 04/04/2013 4:11 PM, V Redden wrote:
> Finally the ice has cleared from the river, the strait and Goose Creek
> marshy area in Cumberland Co.
> The ducks began arriving the past two days and they are in fabulous
> breeding plumage.
> Today there were Hooded Mergansers, Red-breasted Mergansers, American
> Wigeons, Mallards and Black Ducks.
> A huge flock, 2-3000 or more ( I can't count any higher- ha), of gulls
> was roosting on the ground or bathing when suddenly, en masse, they
> lifted off and spiralled around and around. My first thought was - oh
> air traffic controller nightmare. Soon a few landed but the rest
> spiralled higher and higher until they were out of sight except
> through my binoculars. Slowly, a few at a time, glided down and
> landed.I watched them for 15- 20 minutes until they had all landed.
> Any comments about why the gulls would do this? Maybe sightseeing or
> celebrating a great day?

--------------050301040900080409070708

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
    Are there eagles in your area, Virginia?&nbsp; When we see this happen in
    the Bedford Basin we always look around high up for an incoming
    eagle.<br>
    Lois Codling<br>
        face="Candara">Finally the ice has cleared from the river, the
        strait and Goose Creek marshy area in Cumberland Co.<br>
        The ducks began arriving the past two days and they are in
        fabulous breeding plumage.<br>
        Today there were Hooded Mergansers, Red-breasted Mergansers,
        American Wigeons, Mallards and Black Ducks. <br>
        A huge flock, 2-3000 or more ( I can't count any higher- ha), of
        gulls was roosting on the ground or bathing when suddenly, en
        masse, they lifted off and spiralled around and around. My first
        thought was - oh air traffic controller nightmare. Soon a few
        landed but the rest spiralled higher and higher until they were
        out of sight except through my binoculars. Slowly, a few at a
        time, glided down and landed.I watched them for 15- 20 minutes
        until they had all landed. <br>
        Any comments about why the gulls would do this? Maybe
        sightseeing or celebrating a great day?<br>

--------------050301040900080409070708--