[NatureNS] tree biomass fuel ... calcium loss x Red Spruce & Sugar

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 11:15:15 -0300

Hi Dave P. & all                            Apr 15, 2013
    Thanks for this but we have got off on a tangent that is not especially
relevant to the original question which is-- What fuel, given a choice of
biofuel, coal, natural gas and oil,  is potentially most desirable from a
net carbon emissions per unit energy released viewpoint ?
    If we can agree that the answer to the above is biomass then the second
level question emerges-- As a source of biomass energy, which is preferable,
wild wood, grown wood, grown grass, cultured algae, peat...?
 And clearly, no one of these will consistently be preferable but any could
be depending upon circumstances. Given idle farmland suited for Miscanthus
why not grow Miscanthus for biomass ? Given a biosolid 'disposal problem'
and idle farmland why not grow Hybrid Poplar for biofuel ? Given Hybrid
Poplar windbreaks in need of renewal why not route the wood to biofuel ?
Given overstocked stands of wild wood why not thin them for biofuel ?
Leaving stands to self thin can generate a fire hazard and what is gained if
dead trees, living trees, litter and the organic layer goes up in smoke ?
Given waste heat why not culture algae for biofuel ? ...