[NatureNS] Lapland/Laconia Owl Monitoring Route

Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 09:10:48 -0300
From: Ronald Arsenault <rongarsenault@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

&lt;dd&gt;&lt;font size=4&gt;An interesting evening for running this route with o
--e89a8f3ba4575f77d104da8d609d

Hello Patricia,

Very interesting question and one to which I do not know the answer.  I
should also point out that the sentence which prompted your question was my
interpretation of what Scott had said, so I will attempt to clarify.
 Please note that this is based on a conversation which happened three to
four years ago.

As I recall, Scott found during his monitoring that owls were less vocal
when tending nests with eggs or young than was the case during years when
they did not nest or the nesting was not successful. His concern was that
the results of the owl survey were being (or would be) interpreted as "more
calls = more birds", which his monitoring showed was not the case.

At the time, his intent was to discuss his findings with Bird Studies
Canada to make them aware of his concern. I do not know what eventually
happened.  Perhaps the "silent listening" was implemented as a result?

I do not recall Scott going into detail re owl behaviours that would
explain this.  I would suggest though, that there are a number of factors
which are likely to affect the calling rate, including the response rate to
playback, of owls. However, I would not expect complete suppression except
for cases of severe starvation.  Some factors which likely affect the
calling rate of owls (with or without stimulation by playback) are:  timing
- how far into the nesting season are the owls when the survey is done;
whether or not the bird is paired - single birds would be more motivated to
call; prey density - more time needed to catch enough prey = less time for
calling; distance from nest - the closer the playback to the nest, the
likelier the response; density of the owl population could even play a
role; perhaps even the age of the birds could also be a factor - well
established pair vs first time nesters?. These are just some of the factors
which come to mind, and of course, these are not necessarily independent of
each other.  Perhaps others (Randy?) can add to or correct the above.

Hope this helps,

Ron

--
Ronald G. Arsenault
Moncton, N.B.

--e89a8f3ba4575f77d104da8d609d

question and one to which I do not know the answer. =A0I should also point =
out that the sentence which prompted your question was my interpretation of=
 what Scott had said, so I will attempt to clarify. =A0Please note that thi=
s is based on a=A0conversation=A0which happened three to four years ago.</d=
iv>
ing that owls were less vocal when tending nests with eggs or young than wa=
s the case during years when they did not nest or the nesting was not succe=
ssful. His concern was that the results of the owl survey were being (or wo=
uld be) interpreted as &quot;more calls =3D more birds&quot;, which his mon=
itoring showed was not the case.</div>
findings with Bird Studies Canada to make them aware of his concern. I do n=
ot know what eventually happened. =A0Perhaps the &quot;silent listening&quo=
t;