[NatureNS] Birding and Beavering this morning

From: Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2013 13:54:46 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--001a11c37ec87acab104dae1d001

Hi,

Rick Whitman and I did some exploring this morning, starting with nice
looks at the Eastern Phoebe presumably nesting as usual under the White
Rock Bridge.

We then went to East Point, Grand Pre, where there were Savannah Sparrows
singing, and 2 G.B.Herons flying across from Boot Island. No Shorebirds yet.

Yesterday I bumped into Patrick Kelly, who told me about Akin Marsh, near
Falmouth. I had never been there before, so we went. There's a nice trail
through the woods, with good looks at some marshy ponds at a couple of
spots. We had some nice Spring migrants, including very close looks at 2
Hermit Thrushes, also 2 bright Palm Warblers, at least 6 Swamp Sparrows
singing, a Sapsucker, and a Ruby-crowned Kinglet, plus a singing Brown
Creeper. We also watched a Beaver swim close to its lodge.

We then did the whole traverse of Mines and Butler Roads, from Falmouth to
the New Ross Road - mainly to see if I could get through for my owl survey.
The road is a long, rough, logging road that is very potholed and soft in
places, and very remote if you get stuck - but we made it. We saw some
pretty vigorous Beaver activity along the route, with large trees felled,
and another Beaver by the bridge near the end. We didn't stop much, but did
see a pair of Hooded Mergansers, several more Hermit Thrushes fly across,
Robins and a soaring Bald Eagle. It's a great road to bird in late May/
June.

We heard many choruses of Spring Peepers and also Wood Frogs.

Richard

--
#################
Richard Stern,

--001a11c37ec87acab104dae1d001

d some exploring this morning, starting with nice looks at the Eastern Phoe=
be presumably nesting as usual under the White Rock Bridge. <br><br>We then=
 went to East Point, Grand Pre, where there were Savannah Sparrows singing,=
 and 2 G.B.Herons flying across from Boot Island. No Shorebirds yet.<br>

sh, near Falmouth. I had never been there before, so we went. There&#39;s a=
 nice trail through the woods, with good looks at some marshy ponds at a co=
uple of spots. We had some nice Spring migrants, including very close looks=
 at 2 Hermit Thrushes, also 2 bright Palm Warblers, at least 6 Swamp Sparro=
ws singing, a Sapsucker, and a Ruby-crowned Kinglet, plus a singing Brown C=
reeper. We also watched a Beaver swim close to its lodge.<br>

lmouth to the New Ross Road - mainly to see if I could get through for my o=
wl survey. The road is a long, rough, logging road that is very potholed an=
d soft in places, and very remote if you get stuck - but we made it. We saw=
 some pretty vigorous Beaver activity along the route, with large trees fel=
led, and another Beaver by the bridge near the end. We didn&#39;t stop much=
, but did see a pair of Hooded Mergansers, several more Hermit Thrushes fly=
 across, Robins and a soaring Bald Eagle. It&#39;s a great road to bird in =
late May/ June.<br>

da<br>

--001a11c37ec87acab104dae1d001--