[NatureNS] Birding and Beavering this morning

Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2013 16:13:16 -0300
From: james simpson <desolatechair@gmail.com>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--0023544713c48d87a404dae3be60

You can take exit 8A on the 102 and follow the Becky States across to the
Bishopville Rd (3k) then down the Old Post Rd (dirt, 3k) to the Bog Rd.
head south to Akin Marsh, about 3k on the right.  All distances
approximate.  The marsh is managed by Ducks Unlimited and the Hants West
Wildlife Association and there's a large sign and parking area.

Besides the 2 trails(inner/outer) you can also follow the logging road up
the mountain about 4k or further, a lovely hike.  Lots of old
pine/hemlocks, decent view of Avon River Valley at the top where
transmission lines cross.

The marsh is full of amphibians, turtles and water birds.  I've had Barred
owls there and my son and I once called a Sora into with 5 feet!

There's also some pretty interesting plants and fungi.

BTW at the  SW corner of the Old Post Road and the Bog Road, about 10' in
and partially covered by brush you can find a small stone monument (about
24" diameter) placed there by Senator Ezra Churchill in 1865 marking the
spot where his wife was killed when her buggy overturned while traveling
from their home (Churchill House on the current Hantsport Memorial
Community Centre grounds) to pick the Senator up at the Windsor rail depot.

On Sun, Apr 21, 2013 at 2:45 PM, Andy Dean <aadean@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:

> **
> Hi Richard,
> Can you supply directions to Akin marsh please?  Thanks
>
> Andy  Dean
> 86 Baden Powell drive,
> Kentville,  N.S.
> B4N 5P5
>
> (902) 678-6243
> aadean@ns.sympatico.ca

ost Rd (dirt, 3k) to the Bog Rd.=A0 head south to Akin Marsh, about 3k on t=
he right.=A0 All distances approximate.=A0 The marsh is managed by Ducks Un=
limited and the Hants West Wildlife Association and there&#39;s a large sig=
n and parking area.<br>
 road up the mountain about 4k or further, a lovely hike.=A0 Lots of old pi=
ne/hemlocks, decent view of Avon River Valley at the top where transmission=
 lines cross.<br>
9;ve had Barred owls there and my son and I once called a Sora into with 5 =
i.<br>
out 10&#39; in and partially covered by brush you can find a small stone mo=
nument (about 24&quot; diameter) placed there by Senator Ezra Churchill in =
1865 marking the spot where his wife was killed when her buggy overturned w=
hile traveling from their home (Churchill House on the current Hantsport Me=
morial Community Centre grounds) to pick the Senator up at the Windsor rail=
 depot. =A0 <br>
 Apr 21, 2013 at 2:45 PM, Andy Dean <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto=
:aadean@ns.sympatico.ca" target=3D"_blank">aadean@ns.sympatico.ca</a>&gt;</=
span> wrote:<br>
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><u></u>

please?=A0 Thanks </font></div>
026786243" target=3D"_blank">(902) 678-6243</a><br><a href=3D"mailto:aadean=
div><div>
-RIGHT:0px;MARGIN-LEFT:5px;MARGIN-RIGHT:0px" dir=3D"ltr">
  <a title=3D"sternrichard@gmail.com" href=3D"mailto:sternrichard@gmail.com=
" target=3D"_blank">Richard=20
  Stern</a> </div>