[NatureNS] Various bird notations and a beaver

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2013 21:11:31 +0000

--_a0155129-b60f-4be4-ac5c-19064d70f9bb_

This morning I was at Shur-Gain in Bridgewater and was told that they've ha=
d reports from a number of people now about ruby-throated hummingbirds back=
.  I have not personally heard from anyone about this though. I made a run =
to the Grimm Road this morning.  Very cold and windy=2C but quite a bit of =
bird activity.  I had the daylights scared out of me.  I was standing by a =
brook which runs between two large stillwaters and heard a huge splash nest=
 to me.  It was a beaver going between in the shallows of the brook.  I pro=
bably scared it just as much as it startled me.   I had two palm warblers=
=2C yellow-rumped warblers were everywhere.  A hermit thrush was scolding a=
nd there were at least three ruby-crowned kinglets.  I also saw a swamp spa=
rrow.   At Dublin Shore=2C I'm sure that I had two bank swallows=2C but I c=
annot say for 100 percent as they were quite far away and did not provide m=
e with another chance at getting more definitive field marks.  I know for s=
ure that there were tree swallows there=2C but the two swallows that I saw =
after that were a lot smaller and brownish in color. At Ragged Harbour I wa=
s walking along the beach road there and heard a loud commotion.  When I tu=
rned around it was to see a bald eagle in hot pursuit of an osprey.  The os=
prey had a large=2C plump fish=2C which looked to me like a dandy salmon=2C=
 or possibly a sea trout of about 16-17 inches.  The fish was dropped after=
 some time and it looks like neither ended up with the meal and it went bac=
k into the ocean.   Also of note at Ragged Harbour were two piping plovers=
=2C 40 purple sandpipers and four willets.  I didn't mention it before=2C b=
ut Anne Mills had three willets at Conrad's Island in Lower Rose Bay on Apr=
il 15. James R. HirtleBridgewater    		 	   		  =

--_a0155129-b60f-4be4-ac5c-19064d70f9bb_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 12pt=3B
font-family:Calibri
}
--></style></head>
g I was at Shur-Gain in Bridgewater and was told that they've had reports f=
rom a number of people now about ruby-throated hummingbirds back.&nbsp=3B I=
 have not personally heard from anyone about this though.<BR>&nbsp=3B<BR>I =
made a run to the Grimm Road this morning.&nbsp=3B Very cold and windy=2C b=
ut quite a bit of bird activity.&nbsp=3B I had the daylights scared out of =
me.&nbsp=3B I was standing by a brook which runs between two large stillwat=
ers and heard a huge splash nest to me.&nbsp=3B It was a beaver going betwe=
en in the shallows of the brook.&nbsp=3B I probably scared it just as much =
as it startled me.&nbsp=3B <BR>&nbsp=3B<BR>I had two palm warblers=2C yello=
w-rumped warblers were everywhere.&nbsp=3B A hermit thrush was&nbsp=3Bscold=
ing and there were at least three ruby-crowned kinglets.&nbsp=3B I also saw=
 a&nbsp=3Bswamp sparrow.&nbsp=3B <BR>&nbsp=3B<BR>At Dublin Shore=2C I'm sur=
e that I had two bank swallows=2C but&nbsp=3BI cannot say for 100 percent a=
s they were quite far away and did not provide me with another chance at ge=
tting more definitive field marks.&nbsp=3B I know for sure that there were =
tree&nbsp=3Bswallows there=2C but the two swallows that I saw after that&nb=
sp=3Bwere a lot smaller and brownish in color.<BR>&nbsp=3B<BR>At Ragged Har=
bour I was walking along the&nbsp=3Bbeach road there and heard a loud commo=
tion.&nbsp=3B When I turned around it was to see a bald eagle in hot pursui=
t of an osprey.&nbsp=3B The osprey had a large=2C plump fish=2C which looke=
d to me like a dandy salmon=2C or possibly a sea trout&nbsp=3Bof about 16-1=
7 inches.&nbsp=3B The fish was dropped after some time and it looks like ne=
ither ended up with the meal and it went back into the ocean.&nbsp=3B <BR>&=
nbsp=3B<BR>Also of note at Ragged Harbour were two piping plovers=2C 40 pur=
ple sandpipers and four willets.&nbsp=3B I didn't mention it before=2C but =
Anne Mills had three willets at Conrad's Island in Lower Rose Bay on April =
15.<BR>&nbsp=3B<BR>James R. Hirtle<BR>Bridgewater&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B<b=

--_a0155129-b60f-4be4-ac5c-19064d70f9bb_--